HybridZ

LS1 / T56 Update #31 - Comparisons

This is going to be difficult at best but I'm going to try to compare the LS1/T56 280Z to itself in its previous life and to my totally stock '83ZX.

Well - let's see - they are both Datsun Z cars and there the similarity ends - mostly.

The original Z got about 18-20 mpg, the '83Zx gets 20-22 mpg, and the 280Z28 gets 19-22mpg - but on 93 octane.

Ride - before and after the 280Z has a much firmer ride due to the Nissan Euro springs and KYB gas struts plus the lower profile 50 series tires vs the ZX with it's stock 14" 70 series tiresand original springs & struts.

Seats - Zx is much softer, Z gives a bit better lateral support with it's thinner firmer more wrap-around stock seats.

Cornering - This award goes to the Z. Better suspension, strut tower braces front and rear plus V-8 has a lower CG.

Steering - 83zx with it's power steering is really nice. The 280Z requires a lot of effort a low speed and tends to be almost overly responsive, especially on rough roads when at speed.

Weight distribution - original Z - 1400 front, 1400 rear, ZX- 1430 front, 1450 rear, 280Z28 - 1400 front, 1430 rear.

Braking - the ZX with its stock disks all the way around gets it here, the 280Z28 has the Toyota 4x4 upgrade in the front but still the stock drums in the rear and the Toyota brakes have never been completely right. Major room to upgrade here.

Shifting - Both the original Z and the ZX had the Datsu T5. Nice shifter, smooth, easy and precise. T56 - notchy, hunt a bit more for the gears - but what can I say - its a 6-spd and I can cruise at 60 at 1,500 rpm.

Accelleration - original 280Z the slowest, ZX a bit quicker, 280Z28 has 365 HP at flywheel vs 149 & 145 respectively. Need I say more?

Stereo system - original Z sucked, stock Zx is pretty nice, don't know anymore on the 280Z28 as I blew the fuse the other day. Another upgrade on the way.

Creature comfort - The ZX wins hands down. Better AC, power windows & mirrors, cruise control, T-tops for the nice days.

Fun Factor - 280Z28 all the way baby! I look forward to the daily commute to and from work like a 5 yr. old looks forward to his birthday.

Cost - original 280Z 12 years ago - $3,200, 280ZX a year ago - $2,600,

280Z28 including original cost, 12 years of maintenance & upgrades - nearly $29k.

Hey Bill, both Jegs and Summit will have it. It is a really nice unit. There is a guy on eBay selling them with a nice handle that drops it back about 2 1/2". http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2437146998&category=33736 His price is very competitive and you get the handle, if you want your shifter to drop back like that. Otherwise, you can keep your stock handle or get a straight shortened on for $25 also on eBay. You will have to make sure he gives you the Camaro version, since Pro 5.0 Makes Mustang shifters too.

d2_1.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FATEV12

Phantom,

I'm looking to do an ls1 swap into my 260z. How much did it cost you total for the swap? Is there any websites that I can get additional info on the swap? Point me to the right path guru! :D Thanks.

Mike