HybridZ

dented oil pan

I just noticed yesterday that my chrome oilpan (sbc) is dented in about 1/4" over the entire bottom surface of the sump. How much room is there typically between the pan and stock pump pickup? I really don't feel like pulling it! Wish I knew what I hit.

I have seen much worse and still running! Just how bad is the damage? Does it include the entire underside of the pan, or just a part of it? Hopefully this was a stock pan and is cheap to replace or bang into submission.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, like Pete said, at least you can drop it straight down and not have to remove much of anything to replace or fix it.

Shallower pans have been talked about, but its usually a trade off for exhaust clearance somewhat. On mine I could go shallower, but if I did it would expose the T56's bottom bellhousing to a pretty good hit, bad either way.

I saw these recently at Jegs, thought it sounded like a good idea for these cars, at least give it a bit of armour. :D

9698910.jpg

Regards,

Lone

Lone, I am planning on getting that same pan at some point - it is beautiful, cheap, and looks effective to me! The way our pan hangs out that pan looks great!

Pete - pete, pete, pete, your car is SO beautiful. I still haven't read anything about your first drive yet!! What's up?

My oil pan, too, is pretty dented up all along the bottom but no worries.. i've talked to a ton of people that say it's nothing to worry about, and I've had no oil feed problems yet when messing around with my motor... i've always got good pickup and pressure.

I'm a little excited - My car is in the muffler shop getting a BEAUTIFUL exhaust fabricated for it. It's not mandrel but the work is gorgeous. Tomorrow she will be started and BROKEN IN!

The bottom of the sump portion of the pan is pretty much entirely dented in. It's taken several hits over the last couple of years, but I can't figure out out it ended up like it is. Oil pressure seems fine (as fine as the stock sending unit will allow). It is unfortunately a Mr. Gasket chrome pan, not expensive, but not the cheapest. If I have to replace it, I'll definitely look at the shielded pan. Thanks for the input.