HybridZ

Z car Ok for Vintage Racing?

TomoHawk

Guest MistressMotorsports

I'm not sure what orgainizations are out east and what their rules might be. Out here is California, vintage racing Z's are legal and gaining in popularity. Each group has different rules, though, with some staying very true to the original rules from the 70's, while others are sort of "run what you brung." So, I would do a search of what groups run in your area. Sorry for a less than helpful answer.

Mike

Areas of the country are different, organizations are different...there are a number of different variables. My suggestion would be to speak with Les Canaday of Classic Datsun. He is very involved with vintage racing on a national scale. 760-940-6365.

In Southern California there are several groups including VARA, TCRA, HSR, NASA and others. Some are very specific to what you can and cant run others are less interested in the authenticity of your car and more concerned about your capability as a driver.

I'm not sure about that racing capability thing.... unless you're talking about driving the freeway during rush-hour :shock: I've never done any car racing before- just bicycle racing a few years ago in college, and gasoline model boat racing currently. Car racing seems like a very different thing.

the vintage racing thing came up because those guys look like they're just cruising around (from TV programs). So I thought it just might be cool to do a few laps "at speed" or other than what you do through the local metropolitan parkway system.

Maybe Mid-Ohio has a day when you can do that?

Do they require special equipment, like a rollbar? A helmet would be no problem.

I'm not sure about that racing capability thing.... unless you're talking about driving the freeway during rush-hour :shock: I've never done any car racing before- just bicycle racing a few years ago in college' date=' and gasoline model boat racing currently. Car racing seems like a very different thing.

the vintage racing thing came up because those guys look like they're just cruising around (from TV programs). So I thought it just might be cool to do a few laps "at speed" or other than what you do through the local metropolitan parkway system.

Maybe Mid-Ohio has a day when you can do that?

Do they require special equipment, like a rollbar? A helmet would be no problem.[/quote']

Hmmm.. not sure about the 'cruising around' thing. Every Historic race I've been to, they are going at it hammer and tongs. The last one I went to, at SIR (my Dad was running a 1971 CAN AM McClaren), Vic Edelbrock rolled his Corvette. you don't do that, when you're just cruising around!

Tim

If you're looking for some track time to hone your skills without worrying about bouncing off of things, there are lots of clubs that run non-competitive track days. Most even offer instruction. In the midwest, check out BMWCCA (BMW car club), PCA (Porsches), SAAC (Shelby Club), Traquest.com, NASA, and there are more. All these clubs run near you. You only need a helmet and a safe car. Roll cages, fuel cells, etc. are not required. You get to run as fast as you want, but you are not racing against other cars. The clubs for specific cars like BMWCCA, etc. allow all kinds of cars to run, so don't worry that you don't have a BMW or Porsche.

Mike

I read about SVRA, NASA, and some others on the Mid-Ohio web site http://www.midohio.com

I don't have to worry about not having a Porch or BMW (Big Money Wasted).

I have a

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

......................ZZ

....................ZZ

..................ZZ

................ZZ

..............ZZ

...........ZZ

........ZZ

......ZZ

...ZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

'Nuff said.

"my Dad was running a 1971 CAN AM McClaren"

I went to Can-Am races to see the McClarens at Laguna Seca as a teenager. I would watch in awe as the big blocks would light up the steamroller rear tires emptying on to the straight. How lucky you are to have one in the family Tim. :D

"my Dad was running a 1971 CAN AM McClaren"

I went to Can-Am races to see the McClarens at Laguna Seca as a teenager. I would watch in awe as the big blocks would light up the steamroller rear tires emptying on to the straight. How lucky you are to have one in the family Tim. :D

Steve' date='

It's not actually my Dad's. It belongs to a long time family friend who now resides in Canada somewhere. He flew my Dad out from S.Africa to drive it because he has driven the car many times before and he completely spanked the competition in all 3 heats!! It's definitely a cool car!!

[img']http://www.racer-net.com/vintg048.jpg[/img]

Tim

TomoHawk,

Sorry, when I said don't worry if you don't have a Porsche, it was not meant as an insult. I only meant that the Porsche and BMW clubs don't restrict entries to only those kinds of cars, they let anybody sign up for their events. I also am extremely proud that I own a Z. No insult was intended.

Mike