HybridZ

Paint remover?

Lostsol

Hi guys I have decided to strip, sand, and primer my 240z myself. The question I have is would you guys reccomend sanding all the paint off by hand, or remove it with a paint remover from a can and then sand the rest down? I bought a bottle of this paint remover that bubbles the paint instantly and the paint comes right off. I used it on a spare fender and it saved me a lot of time. Anybody have experience with this type of stuff? does it damage the metal at all? after the paint is off what grit of sand paper should I use to prep the surface for primer? What primer should I use? Thanks

in my experiences with chemical strippers on a few old cars I resto'd ...they are good because in most cases they're fast...but there are a few pitfalls to be aware of (among others Im sure)...

1. it is really messy when you start doing large areas at a time. drips!

2. it is pretty harsh (especially in large areas) on your lungs, nose, and SKIN! I never listen and dont use gloves, etc...so I usually get a little on me. :D

3. Unless the car is a bare shell...you have to be careful about where it drips and runs, rubber will get messed up and plastic doesnt stand a chance.

4. sometimes multiple applications are needed.

5. if you hit some filler (i.e. where the top was welded on at the factory)...you have to remove all the filler because it absorbs the stripper and will wreak havoc on your new paint job.

Also, if the metal underneath is still 'perfect'...i dont scuff it up with anything. After the chem strip, I wash the rinse the car/panels off VERY WELL with water and a mild steel wool or scouring pad, scotchbrite, etc...then after its quickly dried (air, heat, towels, etc...) I spray on a coat of etching primer. This will actually etch into the bare metal, making an excellent base for you to start doing bodywork and then on to a final surface/primer...then paint. and it wont let your bare metal rust.

Hope this helps...

scott

Trichloroethylene is a carcinogenic. It’s not healthy to breath or absorb through osmosis.

I haul this stuff in tankers. Gloves and respirators are standard equipment. After you can kiss your gloves goodbye. They melt. Keep it off the rubber parts.

Cheers...

:::Glenn

mnn I posted on a couple other z forums and one guy told me that I dont need my car stripped of all its paint to get good paint adhesion. He said its a complete fantasy that you can get a better paint job by going to bare metal. He said the only bare metal sanding I need to do is where rust and body work is needed. What do you reccomend me doing? I planned on using the paint stripper then sanding and possibly primering the car myself and let the body shop paint the car. Should I do that or just let the body shop do a mild sanding and cleaning of the surface then painting over it? Also, should I strip all the undercoating off before I have the shop apply a new coat? Thanks

I used Aircraft Stripper on my Z -- it's easily attainable from Wal-Mart. This stuff worked wonders on my Z, saved me plenty of time and pain, and wasn't as expensive as I was expecting it to be. If it were me, I would sand the whole car down to bare metal -- just to make sure you do it right, but if you only have one coat paint on the body, then you don't have to worry about it. After I stripped the paint I could use fine grit to easily remove the rest of the paint. Good luck on the project.