HybridZ

Is it possible to put a 350 chevy block in an '86 Z31

Guest Anonymous

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

It is a little tight under the hood, and around the steering, but it ain't hard to do. Actually once you get the nissan stuff out of the way, I think there is more room than in any of the earlier Zs. If you use shortie headers that dump at the rear you can get around the exhaust clearence issue. I fabricated front mounts and you'll have to mod the rear cross member depending on what you use for a tranny.

Are you just giving us some info of your swap or are you answering a 4 year old post????:-)

LARRY

For what its worth, I am answering a four year old post. I just type really slow!! :)

I get a little tired of hearing that it is a hard swap. I don't know squat about earlier Zs so I try not to talk about them. But since it seems that Alf and I are the only ones who have actually done a Z31 one of us should pass along what we have learned first hand.

When you get all the Datsun crap out from under the hood, there is enough room for a big block. The hood will clear an air cleaner, but not tall injector stacks or a tall magneto.

Here a few pics of my install. I'm changing computers and can't locate the rest of the pics. I am in the process of building a tubular chassis, and will post more as it gets done.

1 The engine

2 The car with the V6

3 This is the only really tight spot between the steering rack and exhaust

4 The mounts I fabbed. (right one shown)

5 Exhaust system

6 Jag rear end (Work still in progress)

7 Detail of firewall after session with the plasma cutter

094_thumb.jpg

098_thumb.jpg

030_thumb.jpg

070_thumb.jpg

025_thumb.jpg

037_thumb.jpg

044_thumb.jpg

Here a few pics of my install. I'm changing computers and can't locate the rest of the pics. I am in the process of building a tubular chassis, and will post more as it gets done.

1 The engine

2 The car with the V6

3 This is the only really tight spot between the steering rack and exhaust

4 The mounts I fabbed. (right one shown)

5 Exhaust system

6 Jag rear end (Work still in progress)

7 Detail of firewall after session with the plasma cutter

Very cool indeed. Please post more pics when you can; Grumpy is right, this thread may become a revitalized source for Z31/sbc conversions. The Jag IRS is really cool...got to love the inboard discs. Are those stock valve covers with a crinkle finish on them? They look damn good if they are.