HybridZ

How much time am i losing??

240hoke

hey guys

i took my car down to the drag strip a couple weeks ago. l28et in 260z, npr, sds, ect, ect. i was runing 14lbs of boost on the stock turbo. have the stock 3.36 rear end with early 5 spd. Anyhow i cant rev the car over 5000 rpms due to a problem yet to be discovered. At anyrate....

shifting at 4500 i ran a 9.3 in the 1/8. i was hoping for lower but where do you think the car will be when i can get it up to 7K?

-Austin

Make sure your tach is correct. That was my problem when I installed Z31 with 6000rpm rev limiter. The factory tach was off like 300-500 rpm so whenever the factory tach went 5500rpm, it'll do a nose dive. :D

I now got an autometer tach and shift with a shift light. F&F style :D

and yo makes a good suggestion with the tach being off especially in the older cars.

not saying that the muffler is your problem with the shut off at 5k but its got to be holding power back in that car being so restrictive.

I am running straight 3" open exhaust, not mandrel bent. I had a muffler shop do it for me. We did minimize bends as much as possible.

So...any reason to add a muffler? Oh yeah, it does sound mean!

Guest szlash280z

oddly, I didn't get any smells in the car with the open downpipe, but as soon as I had a pipe on there I could smell it!

not mandrel bent, and straight thru. I figure that a 3" presser is as good as a 2.5" mandrel. I just tell myself that so I don't feel bad about it though!

why pay for the 3 inch exhaust when your not getting it.

when the idiots that did my ic install they used press bent piping, 2.25 inches, at the bends it measure a mere 1.80 inches, so as you can see it didnt do any good to go with a better ic when i was basically keeping the same pipes as i had on it before.

shrinking the system down to 1.80 inches made that its maxium flow area.

now with the ic install done correctly, i noticed a HUGE difference.

mandrel bends are they only way to go. a few bends from jcwhitney wouldnt cost you much and you could have the grafted into your current system and you will feel the difference!