HybridZ

EGR Vortec heads

Ok...I'm buying a set of Vortec heads from a 96 Chevy pick-em-up...

At the moment I live in Maricopa County, AZ, which requires yearly emission testing...I've learned that the Vortec heads don't have the exhaust passages through them for the EGR...

What's the best way to get an EGR onto the Vortec heads?

Now, I will probably be moving to Oregon in the next few months, so it may not be an issue, but, I may need to figure out how to get it through emissions if need be...

Any ideas or suggestions?

AZ to Oregon, what a move and not so hot.. I had a vortec 350 in my 89 Truck I had to have a egr. What I did was tap one of the headers for the egr, worked ok and passed smog. You might want to look at Sallechevrolet.com for some info. I just bought a set of vortec heads for my 327 v8 z. I am going to run the Comp cams 268 with them. The 268 is the largest cam with stock springs that I can run.

Bill-I live in Tucson and have gotten 2 76's through emissions no problem with just a smog pump(also plumbed right to the headers), cat, and charcoal canister. I believe the state only requires emmisions equipment that was originally on the car, not the motor. Maybe you already know this and the 77 requires EGR. I suggest you smog it here in Tucson so I can check out your Z. Good luck-Adam

check your laws. PA only requires the appearance of functioning equipment, not actually working stuff. (!)

you can make an EGR by tapping the header as mentioned. you need to find an EGR that has tubes in and out and you can tap a port under the carb in the manifold to put the exhaust gas in. if you run a dual plane understand that only half the motor will get exhaust gas this way unless you can tap it in a location where both sides of plenum get fed. or you could always tap both sides or tap a carb spacer right over the plenum divider etc.. Just think through the other issues of running spacers etc..

this will give the basics:

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/nov97/gas.htm

Perry