HybridZ

Pearl paint anybody?

Nismo280zEd

Have you got a sample of the colour you want?

on which base colour is this, and what colour pearl? or did you want something like your friends with multiple colours?

The base color i want to look like a dark silver, but i want it to reflect like the inside of an oyster shell or a pearl, refelecting greens, reds, purples, blues, etc. I thought this would just be a pearl addiditive, but i think it's actually a cystal clear you put over the basecolor coat, but under the top clear coat.

Anybody every done this or know what i'm talking about?

Guest oldZguy

There are several ways of getting that effect with 3 or 4 stage paints, the thing to remember is that future repair is almost impossable without a total repaint of the car to make it look right. So in the future if you have to repair a fender it won't match the rest of the car and insurance companies will only pay to have the fender repainted!

Guest oldZguy

Oh, I ment to say that you are right in that base coat (color) first, tinted clear next with or with out prisems, metal flake, pearl, then perhaps another tinted clear with more of the same then the top coat clear. Different effects are achieved by using different things in different layers. I'm afraid though that I have just given you my total knowlage of the subject and don't know more detail. My neighbor is a full time auto painter and explained to me how that all worked one night over a couple of cold ones.

Ed,

I was going after that same effect until the cons began to outweigh the pros. Like was mentioned above, repair is almost impossible. Several stages require many days in the paint booth ($$$$). I spent months talking back and forth with my neighbor (bodyman and who eventually painted my car), and MY decision was to abandon the idea....lots of $$$, lots of time...and no way to repair a panel without redoing the whole car....lots of $$$, lots of time etc.

Tim

I'm gonna go talk with the locally paint shop owner this week hopefully and check out the prices for what i want to do. My father and i have painted several cars ourselfs, so the price of the paint is the only expense i would have besides sand paper, prep, etc.

So from what i understand the "pearl look" comes from several tinted clear layers? is this correct?