HybridZ

How to you tell a 327 cid V8?

I believe if you take the code off the rear drivers side of the block and look up code you will get your answer. Do a search I cannot remember the site but there is a site that you can go to that will I.D your block.

Mike

Guest gprix1

Just an idea here. Perhaps it would be possible to measure the stroke by measuring the depth of the piston at BDC through a spark plug hole (using a metal rod) and then at TDC. If you compare the measurement to a 350 and it's less, than you can be pretty sure you have a shorter stroke.

- Rick

Guest Anonymous

The quickest, surest, easiest way to verify it is pop the oil pan (or a head) and measure the bore and stroke. Given how easily it is to swap SBC parts, you may have a 327 block and/or heads, but that doesn't mean it's still a 327; especially considering these engines are 30-40 years old.

Guest Anonymous

Ah, RickS beat me to it, but yeah metal rod of good length in the sparkplug hole and turn the motor through, if it moves 3.5" (roughly, 3.48 if you have a very calculated eye) then you have a 350, if it moves 3.25" then its a 327. This may be difficult to tell exactly because of the angle of the metal rod in the sparkplug hole, but it'll give a ballpark).

But also check you casting numbers (at www.mortec.com I believe it is) on the block, that way you know you have a 327 block, the parts are so interchangable as mentioned that it makes detection a bit more difficult than some other engine families IMHO.

Regards,

Lone

Check the block casting number against the Mortec site's list. If it is a 327 block, it's very doubtful anyone has gone to the trouble of increasing the stroke past 3.25 (327 stroke). They may have destroked it to the 300 stroke (3.00), but that's kind of doubtful too.

Grumpy once posted an idea to pull a spark plug and fill the cylinder with Marvle Mystery Oil then measure the volume of fluid that is pumped out when the crank is revolved. If this sounds promising you might do a search because he gave the volume of fluid that would be displaced with each engine displacement.