HybridZ

GM WC T5 and LT1

wheelman

I'm in the process of putting an LT1 in a 73 240Z. I'm evaluating my tranny choices and have done several searches on this site but found nothing directly addressing using a T5 with an LT1.

The engine I have is an iron head LT1 from a 95 Caprice cop car and I'm told it produces 265HP and 330ft/lbs of torque in stock form. I plan on changing the cam later to more of the Camaro/Firebird setup but will probably keep the iron heads as they are supposed to flow better than the aluminum.

Anyway what I want to know is will a GM WC T5 from a 96 V6 Camaro hold up to the LT1. The tranny has been rebuilt. Also will I need any special parts to bolt it to the LT1? I'm thinking nothing other than the correct bell housing, but it never hurts to ask.

I don't plan on drag racing, I'm more interested in a daily driver that will also be good as an occasional canyon runner.

Ken W.

I wouldn't use a T5 from a V6. It's not built for the torque of V8. Could have problems mixing and matching clutch parts as well. I believe the spline count on the input shafts are different from V6 to V8. Spend a few bucks and get a T56. You won't be sorry. I've done swaps with both the T5 and the T56 and the six shooter is the way to go.

I've read some other posts where people have said the 6th gear in a T56 is virtually useless unless you change out the rear end and use lower gears or you want to cruise at 90 mph and 2000 rpm. I'd like to avoid this if I can although I am looking for an R200 with 3.54 gears, that would help some. I did run across a listing on ebay today for new Tremec TKOs for $1299.00 and 3550s for $1199.00 with $50.00 of the shipping covered by the seller. The listing didn't mention whether they were configured for Ford or GM so I emailed, haven't received a reply yet. Are these good prices? Is the 3.27 first gear going to be a problem? I guess that depends on the gear ratio in the rear-end doesn' it. I know these units would be more than strong enough for me as I'm not planning on drag racing or getting radical with the engine.

Maybe I'm being too cheap but I'm going to have a real hard time shelling out the money for a T56, even a used one. I live in a relatively small town in south eastern Washington and there isn't much in the way of junk yard selection. I've contacted the locals and they can get me a T56 but it'll be $2000.00 without a bellhousing, clutch, etc...

I did run across a 1995 Carpice cop car for $1000.00 with only 102,000 miles that I'm pulling the LT-1 out of. It has a 4L60E in it that needs some work, tries to shift into 3rd but can't hold it and then acts like it's in neutral. I've toyed with the idea of using it but really prefer a manual. If anybody wants this tranny let me know and maybe we can work something out.

Ken W.

I have heard conflicting reports concerning the T5 used behind the 93 and up V6 cars. For one they have a BOP bellhousing pattern for the 3800. They are supposedly a World Class type trans, and what I have heard is they are virtually identical to the Ford unit. If that is true, bellhousing compatibility may be a factor. I cannot verify this. A phone call to one of the big dismantlers (Billy Grahm Camaro/Firebird in Georgia) might yield more info.

I have a T-5 in my shop from a '97 2.8L V6 Camaro. It has a Ford-style front face (that bolts to the bellhousing), and a fine-spline (26?) input shaft. Not sure how long it is, but D&D's site says the V6 Camaro T-5 is 1/2" shorter than a Ford 5.0L input shaft. So it might work with a pre-'82 Ford bell or a '67 Camaro 3-speed bell. (Trivia: '67 Camaro 3-speed used a Ford-sourced toploader trans, I once bought a Ford toploader 4-speed that had seen duty in a 70's Camaro using this early bell)

The bellhousing that came with the V6 T-5 fits the RWD and FWD 60-deg V6 and FWD 90-deg V6 which I thought was kind of neat. At the time I thought about putting a FWD Buick V6 and this tranny in a street rod.

Interesting info. I have never seen a Camaro with the Ford sourced 3 speed? GM's saginaw division built all of the 3 speeds I have seen.

Thanks for the V6 T5 info. DOes the shifter match the Ford or GM style pattern? (GM is almost square, Ford very rectangular.)

For a fact I know that the 60 degree V6 bellhousing will not work with the 3800 rear driver. The 60 is similar if not the same as the Northstar while the 3800 is the old BOP pattern. Do you have a picture of the bellhousing?

Guest Grenade300

$2000 for a used t-56 :shock: That's the same price as a new one on http://www.ddperformance.com This T-56 uses a mechanical output so you can use your Datsun gauges. this kit comes with a .62 od gear for 6th. Not as unusable as the .50 od whitch is what you probibly here most of the people on this site talk about. The kit comes with an adaptor plate to mate it to a t-5 housing, just remove this plate for your use.

Just FYI: The Dodge Viper to Chevy T-56 has a .50 od. gear for 6th.

I wouldn't use a t-5, I don't trust their streingth. Here are some other tranny websites that deal with 3550's, TKO's and T-56's. Check 'em out and explore your options.

http://www.fortesparts.com/tremec/index.html

http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/

http://www.mcleodind.com/cgi-bin/fccgi.exe?w3exec=w3ezmenudriver&menuvalue=38&currmenuid=WMM&src1=/catalog_htm/2003cat.htm&w3hostname=MCLEOD

For a fact I know that the 60 degree V6 bellhousing will not work with the 3800 rear driver. The 60 is similar if not the same as the Northstar while the 3800 is the old BOP pattern.

True, but the 90-deg Buick 3800 and Caddy 4100 front driver has a different block. They use the 60-deg FWD bellhousing. I've only seen them with automatics unless they get swapped into Fieros and S-10 pickup hybrids :D . Made me wonder if the end of the crank is drilled for a trans input shaft pilot.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I've been a bit discouraged with the search for a tranny lately. I took the Caprice to a tranny shop yesterday to determine exactly what is wrong with the automatic in it and was told the clutch for 3rd/4th is burned out. They quoted $1750.00 to repair it. Makes me wonder if anyone ever has them rebuilt, it's possible to buy a rebuilt one for $600.00 off the internet!?!?!?!

I guess I need to develop some patience and not let it get to me.

I'm not sure what the 6th gear ratio was for the T56 mentioned in the post that said they would cuise at 90mph and 2000rpm. It sounds like it was a GM unit. I was not aware of the different second OD ratio. Maybe a T56 wouldn't be such a bad idea.

How much work is it to install a 3550 or TKO? BTW those listings I found on ebay were for Ford configured trannies.

Thanks again for the info.

Ken W.

Just for reference, the LT1 Tomahawk has a .50 overdrive with a 3.54 rear end and tall 305/50/15 rear tires. All that adds up to 1400 rpms at 65 mph in sixth gear. With the revs that low even with glasspack sidepipes and no top the car is quiet enough to have a cell phone conversation in a normal voice while cruising down the freeway. Very cool, like a high priced luxury convertible. A bonus we were not counting on.

The cool part of the LT1 is that if you want to accellerate from 65 to 90 there is still plenty of torque even just off idle. No need to down shift, just lower your right foot and 90 comes up very quickly. :twisted:

GM Performance parts sells the Police Package Tahoe 4L60E with a 2300 rpm converter, BRAND NEW for $1650 (give or take a few bucks depending on dealer.) Check out JIm Pace. I thinkg the address is http://www.paceparts.com I was considering a T56 swap into my Impala but have decided the Tahoe trans is how I will go. I just don't trust anybody to correctly R&R one. Look at the Impala boards and see just how often they fail and how soon they fail AGAIN after most rebuilds.

DOes the shifter match the Ford or GM style pattern?

It's nearly square, 4 bolt holes -.290" x .344" o.c. A shifter from a '85 Chevy NWC T-5 fits it.

the 3800 is the old BOP pattern. Do you have a picture of the bellhousing?

I goofed, :oops: I thought it was from a 2800, but '97 Camaros had 3800 and 3400. Looks more like a 90-deg, not a 60-deg block. See photos in my gallery.