HybridZ

Modern Motorsport Coil-Overs?

Guest Grenade300

Guest Grenade300

I have a '77 280Z and I am not to well informed on coil-over suspensions, I do know that it is supposed to give you more clearence between the inside of the tires and the suspension allowing for wider tires. I wanted to look into the Modern Motorsport coil-over kit. Can anybody tell me how much more clearence this kit will give me, or more importently, what a coil-over kit physically does to the suspension? My guess is that it moves the location where the suspension attaches to the chassis closer to the center of the car. Will it change my handling? Will it lower my car? What are the pros and cons? Any info on this subject will be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Here is the link to the kit I'm looking at:

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_38&products_id=12

i'm gonna help the newbie even though i know there are a TON of article if you use the search feature.

Coilover is excatly what is says.. coil over the strut. It's what the Z has OEM. Basically all the coil over setups do is provide a much smaller spring 2.25" or 2.5" in width and that is where your extra clearance comes from, so measure the width of the oem spring, subract 2.5 from that and divide by 2 and that is how much extra space you will have. Also, aftermarket coilover kits such as the one Ross C makes come with a threaded sleeve that slide over the strut. the smaller diameter spring fits onto a large nut on the threaded sleeve. By doing this you can adjust your ride height to any degree you like. Also the smaller spring allows you a much greater selection of dampening rates to choose from to setup your suspension.

Sometimes i'm too nice

<snip>Basically all the coil over setups do is provide a much smaller spring 2.25" or 2.5" in width and that is where your extra clearance comes from, so measure the width of the oem spring, subract 2.5 from that and divide by 2 and that is how much extra space you will have. <snip>

Close but not quite. Coilover springs are noted as 2.5" or 2.25 ID (not OD). 2.5's are common for Z cars as our strut OD's are ~2.0 and 2.2 so combine a threaded sleeve thickness and one must use 2.5" ID springs. I don't have a spring OD handy or I'd toss that info into the mix.

You can gain as much clearance as the full projection of your OEM spring. For those requiring max clearance we can (assuming it matches other functional requirement/owner desires) set the coilovers such that they're fully above the wheel/rim. This allows your rim/tire to come right up to your strut tube within 1/8" of an inch or so (tire flexes at the bottom, NOT at the top, proven this on my own ride).