HybridZ

heater core help

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Well, it's about time that I tackle changing the heater core in my Z. I have no idea if it is bad or not, but the last guy that had the car disconnected the heater core and left it open to the air so I am figuring that it probably has a decent amount of rust in it now.

I was looking in the Chilton manual and it has the procedure for removing the heater core, but the procedure has you rip out just about everything between the seats and the firewall. :?

(Well, not literally :D )

Anyways, does anyone know of a procedure to get the heater core out and a new one in without having to take out so many other pieces?

Also, does anyone know where I can get a set of the cables that connect the controls to the vents, etc. ?

Don't do it the way Chiltons tells you to( I usually swear by Chiltons). I did it that way, then after I had half the car apart I checked the dealer service manual I found I did not have to do all that. You can do it from the right side. Remove the blower motor. Four bolts hold it in. You can then get to the hoses etc. there are four screws holding the cover over the core. You will have to reach inside the little door flap and remove the rod that connects that one to the flap on the other side before you can get the cover off. The core then slides right out. It's not quite as easy as this sounds because the hoses are a real pain in the butt, especially putting it back together.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

well, i got the core out. ended up taking the whole air box out too because I wanted to clean it up. however, I am now faced with another problem. the only place I can get a new core is from a local radiator shop for $90 and 10 days wait. I am looking at the core, at it looks like a pretty generic shape. has anyone found a core from another car that fits?

I'm in the process of doing this. I took the entire dash out, it was really easy. I got a new core from a local radiator shop(ordered it fri @9:30, got it fri@1:40), it was $70, but the core(not the end tanks) was 1/8" too big. I brought it back this morning, they found another from the same place they got this one from. Instead I returned this one. Went to another place picked up one that was the right size, had a small problem with the shape of the end tank, but fixed that with a small hammer.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Ok, I was able to find a heater core for $67 through partsamerica.com. Now I just need to find a source for the shutoff valve. Any ideas? Dealer item?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Well, I got my heater all back together today. New heater core works great! (They are on sale for 15% through partsamerica.com if anyone needs one). I found out that the valve was shot, so I actually just plummed the hose straight to the core without the valve. I think this is the longest task I have performed on any car with the exception of the three week long job I made of changing the clutch on my Prelude.

I don’t have any problems with my original core except for the smell. It smells …well like a heater core in an old car. Any ideas what causes this? If I paint it will smell like paint for a long time. In my work truck I place air fresheners in front of the vent to temporarily cure the problem. There has to be a real world solution.

Cheers…:::Glenn

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Glenn, when I took my heater apart I found this nasty sponge-like padding/insulation around a couple of points. This is probably where your smell is coming from. Mine had absorbed moisture (just from the air) and was about the consistency of a soaked piece of bread. It's quite a bit of work to get the heater assembly out, but if you take it out and get all of that sponge stuff out of there it might help. It doesnt really seem to be that needed. You might also try giving the core a nice soak in some mild parts cleaner and then rinse it really good and let it dry.