HybridZ

G-nose hood hinge verses the JY mutt hinges

blueovalz

FYI for future reference or searches: Some of the members here have been or are involved in bodywork that may require the use of a "different" hood hinge. An example of this was a member doing the 250GTO kit. The OEM Z hinge allows the hood to rotate up and forward, but still drops the very front leading edge of the hood downward. The 280ZX hinge does the same by allowing the front of the hood to dip down behind the front bumper area. In some cases this may not be acceptable. The G-nose hinge (I believe) does the same thing while some JY hinges allow the ENTIRE hood to be raised upward and forward, thus clearing any bodywork forward of the hood. Many of the JY hinges that may work well are instead trunk lid hinges for many sedans. Here is a picture, gratefully supplied by member Chris Thorne, of a G-nose hood hinge. This is compared to another simple, but different JY hinge (that allows complete bodywork clearance issues as mentioned above). A JY hinge that is even more "pronounced" (larger curve and span) is the Taurus trunk hinge. Unfortunately it will require more "swing room" if used.

G-nose hinge:

standard.jpg

JY hinge examples:

standard.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Terry,

I think I'm missing something, just may need some scale on the G nose hinge but that looks just like the set of stock hinges I took off my car. I'm interested in this because I have a G nose and I'll be needing some hinges. Further explanation would be apperciated. Mark

Mark,

It looks to me that the first picture of the hinge is different from the stock Z hinge in that it doesn't have the 'scissor' type mechanism. Looks like that hinge would just make the hood go up, and not forward.

Tim