HybridZ

got a turbo idea...

datsunlover

Anyone ever though of using an old (mid 80's to early 90's) Volvo turbo? The 200 and 700 series volvo turbos are pretty tough, and came factory with a fair size intercooler.. and although they are only a 4 cyl engine, it is a 2.3l; good for about 185HP or so.. so the turbo is pretty beefy.

You could even buy a kit from Volvo called the 'Turbo Plus' that allowed it to boost up to (i think) something like 10 PSI. I have hardly ever heard of them failing (although Im sure it happens), and still see lots of these cars driving with 250-300k on them! I was thinking that it might be workable on my 75 280.. just pull everything I need out of a wrecked volvo, machine/modify my exhast manifold for the turbo, and "cheep out" and get a thicker head gasket for my L28 to lower the compresion..

The only hitch would be the computer end of things.. but I know Volvo used Bosh, so something may be possible... What do you folks think?

I suppose if I had no choice I would try it but why not just take what you need from a turboized 280ZX? Much easier swap, more likely to work well, and more info available. If you already have the Volvo stuff, sell it on ebay and get Z stuff instead. Not saying it wont work but....why cook a burger with a cigarette lighter when you have a barbecue.