HybridZ

R230 diffs Z32 and Q45

Guest ZmeFly

ive been searching and found a lot of information on the two of these but nothing about one going into a 280ZX

has anyone done this for theyre ZX?

if so can you give me any information on the swap, how it went, what was needed not needed, fabrication and so forth.

Z31 diffs are almost impossible to find without giving up your first child, the open diffs are all over lol.

so i was thinking to myself why not go with a notably stronger rear if its worth the effort.

thanks for any help you can give.

I am planning on putting a r230 in my 280ZX. I need to finish my LT1/4l60e install before i will start on the diff. I have most of the parts needed. All I need is more time. Fabrication is key with the r230. Plan on these things:

* new mounts because the r230's mounting points are spaced out further than the r180 and r200.

* shorter halfshalfs. The length should be around 12 inches on each side.

*need adapters that connects the companion flange to the CV on the halfshaft. Ross Corrigan is making (soon i hope) the original style adapters.

* new driveshaft of course.

I wish i could give you more but I will need to complete the install before I can tell you what the trouble areas are. The crossmember looks to be slightly in the way and might need to be dented. I dont know if there will be any clearance issues with the exhaust. The orginal exhaust had an exhaust hanger mounted to the front mount on the diff so that will need to be modded alittle.

Good luck if you do go through with it.

Sean 8)

Well my spin on this is that you would have to build a full support over or under the differential because the diff housing is an integral part of rear suspension geometry. From my investigations if you use the later multilink rear assembly out of a Skyline or S14-S15 200SX which appear to be identical as best I can tell and remove the R200 and replace it with R230 noting that SX use tripod shafts Skyline 90mm birfield Z32 100mm birfield (Q45?)

Disadvantages are wider rear track.

Suspension cage modification is mainly only to thefront mountings which need to be narrowed and shortened, the rear mounting points would line up with existing subframe that supports rear diff mount.

Another advantage is better clearance for dual exhaust.

I have pics of an S13 Cage in place if you want me to email just ask.

NOTE i am talking about 280ZX.

Neil

• 3 weeks later...

Zsane

that looks like early Zs rear suspension the Question was directed at 280 ZX where the problem is to maintain the correct angle of the main trailing arm support as R230 only has 2 front mounting bolts not 4 as in standard.

Although the problems with shortening the 2 driveshafts would be similar to fitting into early Zs. Neil