HybridZ

The Concept / Understanding / The best for SBC

EvilRufusKay

Hey Guys,

I have recently been trying to learn about Turbo / Supercharging. I am currently reading an article about it in this month's Hot Roder Mag. I have also been watching and searching this forum trying to learn what I can. Now I would like to ask opinions on a couple of questions.

Where can you find a comprehensive guide for turbo charging a sbc?

If you are running a non-efi engine is it worth turbo charging?

If some of you guys do run turbo on a carburated sbc, what type of system are you running?

Thanks for your time,

Rufus

Guest bastaad525

If you're going to spend the money to put a turbo on an SBC, why bother doing it carbed? I know I've seen it done with a carb... but you're going to be squandering so much of the engines potential. Go programmable EFI... it's not even that expensive anymore. I think it'd be easier to set up too. The manifolds and injectors can be aquired easily enough... there's really no reason to do a turbo carbed SBC unless you're really just trying to be different... even then, you can do turbo EFI and still be pretty different, most people go supercharger.

Guest bastaad525

man that car is awesome...

seriously though as impressed as I was by that car, I still felt the same way when I saw it... as much power as he's making he would have done better to go efi. Really if you have the money there are all kinds of options for making big power on an SBC, but if it was me I would want big power plus ease and flexibility of tuning plus decent street manners and the best mpg's possible (not that I'd expect much there but hey EFI would definately help). Not to say a twin turboed carbed SBC is 'wrong' per se, but if you're gonna spend the money.... there definately are better ways.

Thanks for the replys guys. I am very new to the idea of turbo so it is appreciated. I do agree with you Mr. Bastaad (I had to say it that way). In fact my plan is to go EFI. I was just wondering if it was possible with a carb. It comes from something I read, I think it said something like a "pull through" turbo where the gas and air are pulled together thru the carb? Does that sound right? Anyway EFI is going to happen before turbo does. With the exaust that gets pulled into my cab I would like to have a much more efficient burn. I plan on first pulling the motor this winter and checking compression etc.. before I spend the cash on an EFI.

Rufus

Try this webiste for the ultimate TT SBC

http://www.montygwilliams.com

This is what I'll be shooting but a 750-800hp version

This guy was a resource for me in my own SBC turbo build. Keep in mind that he has at least $1400 in the stainless steel headers alone. Personally, I would have saved that money and used flipped around stock manifolds and used the savings to purchase a used EFI system (such as the many TPI setups you see on EBay). Nice job, but it just doesn't make sense to me: megabuck headers and a carb on an application where you would really benefit from EFI?

that twin turbo car that dan posted. it is the most badass z. it runs 9's all day at the strip. and his headers are fabricated by him out of square piping!

that twin turbo car that dan posted. it is the most badass z. it runs 9's all day at the strip. and his headers are fabricated by him out of square piping!
Thanks for the comments about my Z. I recommend fuel injection for any turboed car but most car owners must stretch that dollar, including myself. A friend is allowing me to use his turbos and I had a carb. Thats why I used it. I intend to convert to EFI, as soon as I can afford the required components. Meanwhile, I'm having a great time cruising the streets and racing at the strip. Most of the strips have warned me not to run in the 9's anymore because I currently don't have the required license and certification. But low 10's, on the brakes, is still fun. :-D Hanns

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I am the EFI advocate for sure but if you want to go carb you can. Holly builds a carb for boosted applications Turbonetics sells a bonnet to presureize the engine and MSD has a ignition box that has lap top or handset programablity if you wanted to maintain a safe iginiton program. I hate to sound like a sales man but I have all those parts in stock. The hardest aspect of the build is the headers I have turbos in stock for your SBC also. Go for it.

Guest bastaad525

True... when you put it that way... hey a carbed twin turboed V8 on the road is better than an EFI'd twin turbo V8 sitting on jackstands while you save up those extra bucks :) I guess when I look at a car like that and think of the money it would take to build I figure the guy who owns it must have a limitless checkbook... a bad assumption on my part. EFI or not it's still an awesome car there is no disputing that... on the flip side of my own argument, I grew up loving old classic V8 muscle cars before I caught the Z bug so the sentimental side of could never see anything wrong with a big ass carb sitting on top :)