HybridZ

Quick answer needed please!! re: heater hose size

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Will be stopping by the auto parts store on the way home and while I'm there I need to pick up some coolant hose. I'm going to bypass the heater core and just run one straight hose on the side of the turbo head/block, from the outlet that the lower radiator hose also connects to, to the outlet right off the #6 spark plug on the head. I just needed to know what size hose this is? Was hoping to avoid two trips :) I know it's either 5/16" or 3/4"

Guest bastaad525

ROFL I've been doing that all day... yeah 5/8 is what I meant :)

and thanks for the quick clarification :D

I know I should probably do like you and take out the core and replace it... it's not leaking but I dont trust it either, plus some of the hoses have started to leak so I figure fuggit just bypass the whole thing. Anyways it's no loss my heater hasn't worked since I bought this car. Part of me wants to try to be really 'hardcore' about it and pull all the heater stuff out to save weight :-P

Anyone know how much the heater core and blower weigh approximately?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Heater core, air box, and blower together have to be 35 lbs plus (especially if you figure the heater being filled with liquid) I am not too good at estimating weight though.

Every Z I've bought or any of my friends have bought has had a gummed up heater control valve. Fix that, put new hoses in, adjust the cables, and I'll bet you dollars to donuts that it works great. I did that on mine and it burns my toes off now. I almost never have the heater control valve more than 1/4 of the way open. Just too hot.

One more thing, there is a weird wire linkage system inside the heater box (plenum???) under the console. I've fixed 2 of them now. The rubber grommets break down, and when you move the lever on the console the wires just slide through the levers that close the side doors, instead of grabbing the levers inside the box and closing the side doors. This is easily fixed with a pair of extra long needle nose pliers. Tweak the wire ends a little bit tighter and things will start moving again so you can switch from floor to defrost.

Bastaad, I was also thinking of removing the heater from my car, but after the SCCA runoffs 2 years ago I decided to keep it. The EP Z should have won, but his windshield fogged and he couldn't see where he was going. Plus it's like a witches boobie up here...

Jon

Guest bastaad525

Mine doesn't even come on... the fan I mean... I've poked around at the wiring under the dash but can't seem to find any problem, also no blown fuses or anything, I figure the blower must be bad. I live in SoCal so weather isn't usually too much of a problem... it does suck not having the heater sometimes, moreso for the fogging of the windows than from my personal comfort. I just leave the windows cracked and it usually clears right up... with the rails that the 240 has above the window I dont really have a problem with rain getting in the car. I also carry a little squeege in the car at all times in case it gets too bad...

Guest bastaad525

I'll fix it eventually... I do want a heater... man but sometimes the thought of losing those extra pounds is tempting :twisted: Anyways I'm leaving everything in place, including the hoses that go to the core, for right now... I may take the core out and have it flushed and see what condition it's in, maybe have them redo it like they do to radiators...

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Here, save pounds and still have a heater!

I28263.gif

Link

Probably wouldnt be much of a car heater, but would be fine as a defogger. I was thinking of getting that for now while I search for a heater unit to swap in.

Guest 81na ZX
Mine doesn't even come on... the fan I mean... I've poked around at the wiring under the dash but can't seem to find any problem, also no blown fuses or anything, I figure the blower must be bad.

I had the same problem. On the ZX's atleast there is a relay bolted to the bottom of the blower - called the blower motor relay of all things :D . Mine was REALLY dead, you could use it as a rattle :shock: , reaplaced it and I'm back to burning my toes...