HybridZ

Anyone here ever try water/alcohol/methanol injection?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

getting more interested by the minute here...

I'm really interested in installing one of these setups. The main debate really seems to be which liquid to use...

Water - free, cools well, but doesn't burn, can be dangerous if something fails and too much gets into the engine, can cause rust problems

Methanol - not too expensive, cools fantastic, acts as additional fuel and can increase power, dangerous stuff, very corrosive, seemingly hard to find, need an additive (Uplon) to keep it from destroying stuff

Ethanol - Not really sure about advantages and disadvantages, not a lot of details available, but seems to not work as well as Methanol, may be more expensive, but also, not nearly as dangerous/corrosive as Methanol

Isopropyl (rubbing alchohol) - no details really here either, I've seen vague mentions and references to using it but no good data. Very common and easy to get, cheap

Then of course you gotta consider if you want to run a mixture of one or more of the above.... very confusing stuff!! I'm thinking Ethanol, or denatured alchohol, which I guess is the same thing with a tad of methanol added, or isopropyl... straight or 50/50 with water. I really dont want to have to worry about any of the corrosive properties of methanol, nor about water forming rust. I really want to find more info on this... as it stands I'm about two steps away from plunking down the $200 for the Spearco kit.

Another thing I'm wondering is what are the best places or even decent places to mount the nozzles here? If at all possible I'd really like to install it without drilling any holes where there were none before. I'm running the stock intake stuff right now... I'm thinking I could either run this before the turbo, by installing the nozzle in one of two preexisting holes on the rubber boot between the AFM and turbo, or I could install it on the j-pipe, there is an opening there that used to run to to the intake manifold itself, which is now just plugged. Would it be effective here? I worry about the liquid just hitting the wall in the curve of the jpipe, and never making it into the intake... If neither of these would work well then I guess I have to tap a hole in the jpipe right in front of the TB.

Lastly, one side question... hopefully someone can recommend something to me here. Part of the big draw for the alchohol injection is that it will keep the pistons and chambers clean.... but lets say I never end up installing one of these systems, can anyone recommend a good fuel additive that they know for a fact is good at cleaning carbon deposits from the inside of the engine?

Guest BigWhyteDude

if you can find it the fuel addative techron by chevron comes in like a half quart bottle. the bottles are to treat a gas stations tank of gas. my auto tech teacher got a bottle of the stuff from a guy that delivered gas for chevron. he puts a couple of cap fulls in every 4-5 fill ups in his truck an 86 yota 4X4. he took the head off of it and said it was the cleanest engine he had seen with that many miles on it ever. great stuff that techron 8)

Guest bastaad525

No kidding... I wonder where you can buy it seperately? I'm not sure but I THINK Chevron's do sell little bottles of the stuff. I actually used to use Chevron regularly but I can't say it kept engine insides any cleaner than anythign else... I definatley had some carbon buildup on my pistons and chambers when I pulled the head off. Lately I've been running 76 gas instead, there are 10x more of them around here and the prices are good.

BMW dealers used to sell that "Techron" engine anti-carbon stuff in their parts departments. Maybe they still do. I remember back about 10 years ago when I worked at BMW parts, they had a huge campaign to get peoples intake valves cleaned of carbon and the "techron" stuff was part of the routine. They would take customers cars, remove the intake and exhaust manifolds and hi pressure flow crushed walnut shells through the combustion chambers to get all the carbon out. They were claiming that it helped to keep a smooth idle and cleaner emissions along with a bottle of "techron" at regular intervals. They also had released a list of BMW approved gas stations...Amoco, Chevron, and Exxon.

Correction, it was about 13 years ago. I was still driving my 1972 Alfa Romeo Berlina.

Dave C.

Chevron puts small amounts of Techron in their gas. Enough to be effective, I don't know.

As for the different positions and mixtures for the water/alcohol injection, I will have to look. I remember Anarky on the AEM forum listed a bunch of that stuff. I'll go through the links again to see if I can find anything.

I am currently using a Spearco tank for my water inject sytem and a pump I bought from Mc Master-Carr. At 12 psi of boost I am experiencing no detonation problems.I have the Hobb switch suppied with the kit turning on the WI at 5psi.My brew consists of ( for one gallon of water injection fluid) approximately 1/2 gallon of denatured alcohol, approximately 1/2 gallon of distilled water a couple of cap fulls of airless sprayer pump saver ( added to water it prevents rust) and a capfull of water soluble oil.The denatured alcohol should be avalible at any paint store or larger hardware store.I keep a plastic bottle of the stuff in the car and check it generally when I get gas.I do use a liquid to air IC at the track and when I want to go a bit faster on the street.