HybridZ

pics and details of 400sbc in '71 240Z

hey guys,

my friend paul finished the build up of his latest motor for his 240 drag car.

pics of the engine and car: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291962855

the first 20 pics are of the 377 that's currently in my car after it was initially built for the drag car. pic 21 starts the new engine pics.

here's the details of the engine:

400 2 bolt main, 0.030 overbore

stock crank, 400 rods w/ arp bolts,

keith black silvolite hyp. flat top pistons 0 dish,

arp main studs,clevite 77 h-series bearings,

cloyes hex-a-just timings set

edelbrock victor jr heads, 70 cc chambers with 2.08/1.60 s.s. valves

comp cams solid extreme energy roller cam:

248@.050, .576 lift intake,

254@.050, .582 lift exhaust,

110 lsa

comp cams lifters, push rods, springs, retainers, 10 degree locks, and pro-magnum 1.5 ratio rockers

weiand team g manifold #7530

holley 750 cfm 4779 carb with proform center section, 73 jets front, 83 jets rear

msd hei billet distributor with moroso blue max race wires,

moroso air cleaner assembly with 4" x 14" k&n air cleaner

s&s headers, 1 3/4" primaries and 3" angled cutoff collector

moroso 6 qt oil pan, pro-race balancer, cat 153 tooth flexplate & summit balance plate,

tci gear reduction starter, wieand team g aluminum long water pump, march underdrive pulleys,

erson aluminum intake cover, erson sand cast aluminum valve covers

arp ss acc. bolt kit: 12 point with matching 12 point ss head bolts

c/r: 10.7

fuel: 110

hp est: 500 - 525

torque est: 440 - 460

total timing: 34 degrees

turbo 350 tranny, r200 3.90 diff (soon to be replaced by powerglide tranny and narrowed 12-bolt gm rear with 4.11 gears)

of 4 runs at 1/8th mile track in eatonton, ga on sunday, july 22:

first and worst: 7.15 seconds at 100 mph

best and last: 6.85 seconds at 102 mph

--> lots of wheelspin on all 4 runs; would have run more, but it was just too hot out there....

best 60' time: 1.55 seconds

best 60' time on 377 was 1.44 seconds, so there is still room for improvement.

i am curious what desktop dyno says about hp and torque. if anyone could run the numbers, it would be greatly appreciated.

hey guys,

paul appreciates the complements :D:D

owen, i'll try to get some shots of the headers when i get back from my business trip to memphis. the headers are s&s 1 3/4 full length headers, the same as msa sells. they are within a 1/4 of an inch of the steering arm. when they were coated, paul had the shop cut the collectors off and weld on turn downs. the new turndowns basically dump the exhaust right behind the front wheels.... very very loudly, hehe.

he used the same headers on his '72 car and found that they basically dump right into the firewall as they come from s&s. this set was a little different than the set on his '72, though. on his '72 he had dual 3" exhaust, but the exhaust shop had to do some weird angling to get from the header to the straight pipe. if the primaries came down about 2 more inches, they would be perfect for the scarab kit. i understand that they may be a little too low for the jtr kit, though. i plan on using s&s when i convert my '73 to jtr, so i'm a little curious about ground clearance.

mike kz, you're invited any time... when i get back from memphis, that is. paul and i are looking forward to seeing your car in person. paul got a narrowed 12 bolt for the drag car and wants to see yours to see what's involved in that swap.

jt1, the vic jr's are straight out of the box. a friend wanted to port them, but we thought they would be fine as is. paul's already planning another 377 build, using the 64cc vic jr's.

thanks again,

Originally posted by nullbound:

mike kz, you're invited any time... when i get back from memphis, that is. paul and i are looking forward to seeing your car in person. paul got a narrowed 12 bolt for the drag car and wants to see yours to see what's involved in that swap.

Let me know when your back from Memphis, maybe we can get together! 2thumbs.gif