HybridZ

An LS1 question

Guest plainswolf

I followed the discussion of the LS1 swap pretty closely, and there were a number of other details that make it expensive. The exhaust system requires a good deal of customizing, out-of the box headers don't fit, and the factory manifolds don't work. The ECU expects O2 sensors behind the cats, and so the ECU must be edited, or mock sensors can be used. This adds to the cost as well.

Seems like the heater hose routing also required moving the heater core, or soldering on bends.

Other than that, I don't think there were too many differences. Seems like I remember a lot of discussion about accessory positions, but I don't know if this was a problem for everyone, or just for people doing AC. I'll have to go back to the post and re-read it. I know all this information is on one of the recent (last 6 months) LS 1 posts, cause that's where I picked it up. It takes a lot of time to go through them, but they're worth it.

Parts for the LS1 are more expensive as well, so if you don't have a doner car complete, there is a good chance you could miss hundreds of dollars in parts when you pull the motor.

Guest plainswolf

I figured it was quite a few variables as you've confirmed.. but I wanted to make sure I haven't been missing something big about the swap..

THANKS guys!

Fuel injection system. If you are starting with a 280Z that was already FI you'll basically only need a new fuel pump & pressure regulator. If it's a 240 or 260 it gets more complicated.

If you use the T56 you'll be having to either replace the Speedo or get a converter because the T56 is an electronic output only transmission and the Datsun is cable driven. If you use the 4L60E you can get a mechanical drive.

Guest plainswolf

That would be my prob.... I have a late 260... definitely not plumbed for that in stock trim..

But If I could get my hands on a rather inexpensive LS1/tranny combo(preferably auto trans) I would do the swap in a heartbeat, even if it was alot of extra work replumbing and upgrading fuel lines.. and re-routing other lines..

(I do that at my day job to locomotives all the time. I'm a pipefitter for BNSF Railway.."glorified locomotive mechanic")

I was just at a member's website and there is a pic of an interesting motor mount for an LS1... a fabricated transverse member/motormount platform... Looks simple, straight forward and clean as well..

That lightweight, power, fuel injection is really the best of all worlds.. but still looks like a TON of work!