HybridZ

Pic request(A/C compressor location)

Phyte

I've got a 74 260 with an 1978 L28 motor. The car came with an A/C compressor, fan belt, and mounting bracket with idler pulley. The seller said I can bolt it all back up. For the life of me I can't find where to bolt the bracket and the compressor. I can't find any pics online either. It looks like it goes on the drivers side under the carbs, but the A/C lines aren't long enough to reach over there from the passenger side.. can someone go snap a pic of where this thing is supposed to mount? I'm really not an idiot! ;)

Phyte

But its right at the bottom corner of the block on the drivers side toward the front of the block.

It is almost straight across from the crank, but on the side of the block, takes 4 either 14 or 12mm bolts.

Bracket first, the ac compressor, then pulley above.

But its right at the bottom corner of the block on the drivers side toward the front of the block.

It is almost straight across from the crank' date=' but on the side of the block, takes 4 either 14 or 12mm bolts.

Bracket first, the ac compressor, then pulley above.[/quote']

I still don't get it. Its like the bracket is backwards. Here's a pic of the bracket and compressor. Is this the right one for a 78 L28 block?

Phyte

compressor.jpg

I see the 4 holes its supposed to bolt to, but the bracket is so long it hits the inner fender before it even thinks about lining up on them. Even If I could bolt that bracket to the block, the compressor bolts to those 4 holes. I really don't think this is the right A/C. If not I'm tearing the engine out and putting in an LT1.. its gonna happen anyway. I'm not spending anymore money in this engine.

Phyte

Ive never seen one thats looked like that on a Z. That braket is crazy. See, on my Z's that Ive had and the ZX that I have now wasnt set up like that.

I could put the parts where they are supposed to go to kind of give you an idea. I dont know where that braket came from though, Ive never seen one like it.

On my (long gone) '73 the A/C compressor mounted on the passenger side, with the bracket basically surrounding the mechanical fuel pump. Made for lots of heat soak when you ran the A/C. The compressor in your picture looks like the one I had, but I don't remember what the bracket looked like. Hope that helps some.

It looks like you have the dealer install bracket for the early Z's, as DCZ mentioned. I now have (2) that go on the drivers side and (2) that goes on the passenger side, like what you have. I didn't include the passenger side type. Sorry for the poor pics ,but what do you expect in 5 minutes without a digital. :lol:

This one is off a '78 if I remember correctly, it is Very heavy:

http://hybridz.org/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=2286

This one is from an '81 and is alot lighter, made of cast aluminum:

http://hybridz.org/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=2287

I am willing to part with the heavy one, but I can get another light one without to much trouble. Either one will need the adjuster pulley.

I still don't get it. Its like the bracket is backwards. Here's a pic of the bracket and compressor. Is this the right one for a 78 L28 block?

That's definitely not what came on my 78 Z. I'm thinking that the in the pic, the bracket is upside down, and bolted to the wrong side of the compressor - there are mounting holes on both sides.

The early Zs had the compressor mounted on the passenger side and had an ugly bracket like that picture.

Sometime around '74 or '75 the compressor was moved to the driver's side.

Sounds like you have pieces from both types.

Let me know if you want some scans from the later -style FSM and I'll get them on here tomorrow.

Phyte,

What you have is a after maket A/C compressor and bracket.

Yes, it mounts on the pass side covering the fuel pump with the tension pulley ridding in frt of the engine.

That compressor shown is an old York compressor, I would recomend going to a yard and get a stock (factory installed) A/C compressor and bracket.

The one that Phyte posted is positioned right on the bracket. The tensioner pulley ends up just infront of the distributor and the bracket bolts to the same holes that the engine "hook" bolts to(just behind and below the mech. fuel pump) and if memory is correct it also bolts to the front of the head. I have actually seen 3 different types. I'll take pics of the other (2) I have that go on the passenger side tomorrow. I would highly suggest that Phyte get a compressor and bracket from a 280ZX. The '81 will have the holes/mount for the CAS(the shiny one I posted), but once bolted up it isn't that visible. I have a early '74 which had factory a/c and the compressor was on the drivers side with a bracket identical to the one I posted(black one) that I'm pretty sure came off a '78.