HybridZ

more cooling

I live in the relatively cool (temperature wise) Pacific North West and I had never had any cooling issues... but 2 weeks ago, I made a trip south to Mt. Shasta for the All Datsun Meet and I was worried that I might have problems on that trip. They were experiencing all-time record highs and it was 108 when I got there! I know that a lot of you guys see temps like that, but it was a first for my Z. BTW, the guys who ran at the Thunder Hill track in Willows, CA said it was 118 there!!! I think I would have died had I gone.

I am running a Griffin 2-core (1" tubes) and a Black Magic fan.

It was definitly running hotter than it ever had before, but I don't feel it ever really got close to "over-heating" . On I-5, going through the Siskious (a series of +4000 ft passes) the mech Autometer guage would get close to 220 on the climb and cool back to 190 on the coast back down. The hottest it got was on the "Poker Run" were we drove up Mt Shasta 'till the road ended (about 8000 ft) at the top I was at 230, but still no sign of boil-over. Some research I have done says that an upper safe limmit to run a SBC is 230-240, and that you can run all day at 220. Anyway, if I lived in a hotter climate, I might consider the 1.25" tubes for the extra cooling

cheers.gif COOL, excuse the pun... This is the type of information that I was looking for. I needed to be clearer and ask what cooling issues have people had with 1" two row aluminum radiators. Apparently, there can be problems and potential heat. I overheated once bonk.gif and that cost a whole lot more than the extra $150 that the 1.25" radiator will cost. 2thumbs.gif