HybridZ

Im jealous I tells ya!

Guest znow white

Guest znow white

Hey guys I need a turbo swap yes need not want Im ill and boost is what the doctor ordered! :twisted:

For the past 3 days I read the last 8 pages (allot of reading!) of this forum I am gonna venture into this project. After all that reading Iam so jealous of bastaad525, szlash280z, on3go and cygnusx1 (theres more but mainly these 4).

I own 82 turbo and have another turbo engine with all the wiring. Now this is my problem how can I do the swap IF I HAVE NOTHING TO SWAP INTO :( So far my plan is to keep looking for a s30 shell and in the meantime slowly mod the 280zx I have. Every project has a goal(s) I am aiming for a 13 sec car (so I can destroy my bros mustang) Winter is here (ottawa ontario) and this would be a nice project for the winter (lots of time to work and tune) if anyones out there that can help me find a cheap rolling shell (close by)I would love you and give you my kidneys (yes take both)!!

What I have come to conclusion is that some of those guys (mentioned above) had to do some splicing when they used there original harness. Finally heres my question If I have all the wiring (and parts) will I still have to do this?

Thanks in advance

Hussein

Guest bastaad525
For the past 3 days I read the last 8 pages (allot of reading!) of this forum I am gonna venture into this project. After all that reading Iam so jealous of bastaad525, szlash280z, on3go and cygnusx1 (theres more but mainly these 4).

ROFL jealous of ME???? Man what posts have you been reading!!! I'd be more jealous of guys like Jersey, Yo2001, SleeperZ, Lockjaw, scottjuly79, scottyMIZ... heck... I could go on all day with a list of guys who's cars FAR eclipse mine in just about every department that counts (speed, setup, looks, drool factor). My car is so far from done it's not even funny, it's butt ugly, and my swap has given me so many problems both great and small that I was seriously considering getting full coverage insurance, claiming it stolen and throwing it off a cliff. Heheh in other words... set your bar a little higher dude :) But thanks for saying that it did bring a smile to my face :D

About the splicing, you will definately need to do some, but it's very minimal, if you're swapping into a 240 at least, I can't say for the later fuel injected 280z. Mostly all you're splicing is power connections, your 12v and 12v key on, then fuel pump... just a few, like five or six wires that need to be spliced. There's a short walkthru on what needs to be spliced into what, I think, on the FAQ at the top of this forum. If you get a 240 (2200-2400lbs in weight) you should have no problems getting it to run 13's with just a few basic, cheap mods to the stock ZXT motor, and will easily kill a factory mustang or even a mildly modded mustang as long as it's not a Cobra or something like that. I wish you luck in finding an S30, they are still sorta common, check the buy/sell/trade section here and also check the for sale section at zcar.com. I lucked out and found mine in the local classifieds for $250, this including a full drivetrain, and the car did run, but it had been sitting in this guys garage for 13 years. Needless to say I had to put a lot of $$$ into it to get it driveable, and much more than that when I first put a built up naturally aspirated motor and then again when I decided to go turbo. When it's not f'ing up on me I love the car it's a lot of fun and by far the fastest car I've ever driven, and it handles well too. They have great potential man... very little relative investment and you can have a car that can outperform even some of the best new cars out there...

Jealous....don't be. Just do it. You have a great plan already, get your ZXT running great with all your mods and debugs. Get it setup how you like it. Just don't spend money and time on your exhaust and intakes just yet. They will need to be redone when you get the new body. When you find the right chassis, it's a relatively simple swap. Plan ahead. If it ran good in the ZX and you swap it right the first time, you will turn the key and drive it away faster. I did not cut ANY wires, drill ANY holes, or cut ANY body metal in my 76Z. All the cutting was done to prune connectors out of the ZX to use for the swap. I then used blades, spades, solder and shrink tube to tie the ZX Turbo FI harness into the 280Z. I have a CRAPPY diagram I made for the wiring. It may help some people that can read CRAPPY wiring sketches. I used EVERY feature of the 280ZX FI system including the Fuel Pump Module and the two green power relays from the ZX. I ran new wires to the fuel pump because the ZX FI system wanted those wires to be sheilded. I am electrically reclined so it took me about 3 days to figure out how the ZX FI system and ignition systems worked and then it took me another 3 to get it to tie into the Z.

Good luck and keep your eyes peeled for an S30.

MY WIRING IDEAS---http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28134

no reason to be jealous about me and my Z.. i havent even driven it yet :(... but im not sure about the wiring as i havet gotten to that yet, but im not using the stock ECU so that takes a few things off that list.

best of luck and just build a badass turbo Z.

mike

Guest znow white
ROFL jealous of ME???? Man what posts have you been reading!!! I'd be more jealous of guys like Jersey, Yo2001, SleeperZ, Lockjaw, scottjuly79, scottyMIZ...

Yah I know you have been having allot of wierd problems (lot of posts lol)

The reason I said you guys because Iam reading the progress from the begining of your projects not theres (they are advice people :idea: )

Get it setup how you like it. Just don't spend money and time on your exhaust and intakes just yet. They will need to be redone when you get the new body.

Yah exactly what I was thinking.....

Iam not looking for allot of uncontrolled power (I keep hearing the "thats what they all say" kinda thing)I just want something that I can "juice it" time to time. which also looks good :D Iam also looking at cleaning the look of the engine bay I really hate how there is one million wires.

Iam gonna start on the valve cover and intake of the enigne I already have out polishing here we come!

How much of those sensors and crap can I take off? all but brake booster? and valve cover breather or do I reroute after AFM

OK I was thinking the same thing when I started the swap..."how can I get rid of everything ugly?" You know what, I left it all there. Once you clean and paint it all up, it aint that ugly anymore AND you'll be sure that it runs at least as good as Nissan intended it to run. Later on you can start eliminating stuff......Get it to run "FACTORY" first.

That's a good question. I chose to keep it factory after the swap so that I could trouble shoot if I had any quirks or problems after the swap. If you change too many variables during the swap, it may become difficult to diagnose any problems. Take a look around the forum. How may people have a problem which may be a small problem but an annoying one. Well if things on the motor are removed, bypassed, disconnected, or modified. How can anyone truly help you diagnose. It becomes trial and error. With the motor stock you can go around to make sure each and every component is doing it's job. When you find the problem part, you repair it. Once it is running good again you can go and make changes one-by-one. That way when it starts stalling, or idling funny, or running weird, you'll know what you did and how to undo it.

I suppose you can do all of this while it's in the ZX too. But little, annoying, minor, problems seem to creep up after the swap.

As cygnusx1 mentioned :Both;

In the 280ZXT drive it; dial it in; get the bugs out. Don't touch any of the "wires or sensors" till its dependable. Then when you do the swap. Install into your Z and "dial it in again". You'll find serious power just "stock". When you have got all the gremlins out. THEN slowly "clean it up. But that should be your last stage.