HybridZ

cam adjustment for turbos

Guest ZmeFly

the cylinder pressure increase as the cam advance right? would it not become more detonation prone? I like leaving the cam straight up because I don't want any bad side effect. like the exhaust valves opening too early or too late. SOHC is a double edge sword.

Yes it does. The cam holes are there for one purpose, to make up for slack in the timing chain as it ages.

If you try it, make sure you go easy on the boost.

i have a question since we are talking about timing.

i have advanced my cam and brought the power band down from 3000-6000 to 2000-5500. it gave the car a great amount of torque. But anyway the question that i have is what advance are you running??????

right now i have my car at 20* at idle 30 at full advance 2500rpms and under boost i have 21*. I have set the timing lower at boost say 15 but i have no power there. Compresion is 7:1:1 . Any help would be welcomed.

Regarding Cam Timing, I recently advanced my cam to the #2 hole (from #1) to see how it affected spoolup ( I have a 60-1 wheel/to4e compressor housing with a .63 T3 Turbine Housing machined for a T4 P-trim wheel)

I didn't see much change in spoolup, but did lose a ton of top-end grunt.

Also, I think that peak EGTs increased as a result.

I've recently finished some wideband data logging (with the cam advanced) to evaluate James' (240ZTurbo) trick intake manifold, and that can serve as a reference for more testing with the cam retarded back to straight up.

I'm looking to get my top end back with lower EGTs.

I'll keep you informed as to results.