HybridZ

383 build

Guest zfan

Well jumped off the deep end and got all my parts in for my new motor and hopefully will have it together this week.

4 bolt 010 350 block 40 over

Eagle 400 crank

Eagle forged I-Beam rods w/arp bolt

Forged flat top pistons 10.83 to 1

Comp cams xr288hr-10 cam 23/242-520-540 with 110 lobe sep. roller cam

will retard it 4 degrees to get 0 sice Comp advances there cams 4 degrees in the build.

8" fluid damper with Cloyce built in roller cam button cover. comp timing chain.

Canfiels 200 heads with 65cc chambers, had full radius valve job and bowls blended..what a difference that makes, now they really flow well :D

1.50 rollers on exhaust and 1.60 on intake.

Intake is either Weiand stealth or Victor jr. if I can make it fit?

750 proform dp carb

Hooker super comp long tube headers

All MSD ignition

I'm stepping up my stall to 2600-2800, I could use more but for free I cannot complain.

I do not have desktop dyno so numbers are a guess right now.

Mike

38 degrees total timing

Well jumped off the deep end and got all my parts in for my new motor and hopefully will have it together this week.

4 bolt 010 350 block 40 over

Eagle 400 crank

Eagle forged I-Beam rods w/arp bolt

Forged flat top pistons 10.83 to 1

Comp cams xr288hr-10 cam 23/242-520-540 with 110 lobe sep. roller cam

will retard it 4 degrees to get 0 sice Comp advances there cams 4 degrees in the build.

8" fluid damper with Cloyce built in roller cam button cover. comp timing chain.

Canfiels 200 heads with 65cc chambers' date=' had full radius valve job and bowls blended..what a difference that makes, now they really flow well :D

1.50 rollers on exhaust and 1.60 on intake.

Intake is either Weiand stealth or Victor jr. if I can make it fit?

750 proform dp carb

Hooker super comp long tube headers

All MSD ignition

I'm stepping up my stall to 2600-2800, I could use more but for free I cannot complain.

I do not have desktop dyno so numbers are a guess right now.

Mike

38 degrees total timing[/quote']Before I turboed my Z, my 383 components were quite similar to your engine's. I had to use a 6" dampner to provide hood clearance for a 3" aircleaner over my 750 DP on Victor jr. manifold. However, it all depends on the setback your engine mounts provide and how low they place the engine. My best naturally aspirated time was 11.15 at 123 mph. :) Hanns.

Sounds like your new engine will be a strong runner!

However here are a few things to think about:

The externally balanced 383 needs the bigger counter weighted balancer (8") which requires the engine to be set up higher by 1 inch. 1 inch doesn't sound like much but the air cleaner will not fit with the engine up. You could get the crank internally balanced then you could use the smaller non counter weighted balancer. FYI, the JTR V8 conversion uses a 6" balancer. Also, those canfeild heads will need longer than stock pushrods (+0.100" to +0.160"). Finally, I would install the cam straight up eventhrough comp puts 4 degrees in their cams. I run my 292 comp cam straight up and my Z runs very well. A friend of mine advanced his comp cam 292 by 4 degrees and dropped 0.5 sec in the 1/4 mile in his camaro.

Mike, Yes you get a ride, also races are Saturday the 22nd. Gates open at 8am, racing at 9am, closes at 5pm.

My Z is not all the way back in the JTR position but not in the scarab position either. I ran an 8" fluid Damper before so all should be ok.

Yeah I am going to have to measure for push rod length as the stock roller cam pushrods would not work(too short).

The cam is built 4 degrees advanced but I am looking at bringing it back 4 degrees to keep torque from making me smoke tires or break stuff :shock:

Mike

Sounds like it's gonna be pretty hot. It's a lot like mine was gonna be before I decided to add a couple of turbos (a la the Turbomeister) except I have a milder cam. Yours is pretty wild. Even with a milder cam, I was planning on making about 425-450 HP, assuming I lived at sea level, which I don't. By the way Turbomeister (if you are listening), why did you decide to turbo a 383? If I were to do it again, I would save a bunch by going with a 350 and making up the difference by cranking up the boost a bit. I guess the extra cubes in a 383 can make you forget about the turbo lag. :-D

Sounds like it's gonna be pretty hot. It's a lot like mine was gonna be before I decided to add a couple of turbos (a la the Turbomeister) except I have a milder cam. Yours is pretty wild. Even with a milder cam, I was planning on making about 425-450 HP, assuming I lived at sea level, which I don't. By the way Turbomeister (if you are listening), why did you decide to turbo a 383? If I were to do it again, I would save a bunch by going with a 350 and making up the difference by cranking up the boost a bit. I guess the extra cubes in a 383 can make you forget about the turbo lag. :-D
Sorry about the late response, I wasn't listening.

When I first built my Z there were no plans to turbo the engine. I wanted as much power as possible from a street / strip engine. Therefore, I believed the 383 would be more powerfull at the intended use level. My best time, naturally aspirated, was 11.15 @ 123 mph. I was quite satisfied with the car's performance, until a friend offered to loan me his turbos from his 350 SBC race car. The rest is history. It would have been cheaper to turbo a 350, but stuff never happens in an orderly sequence.

Hanns

Terry,

Ran the car for the 1rst time yesterday. Working out bugs and just the usual first time issues. 6 runs with nothing broken :shock:

My best run was with only 34 degrees of timing and a little race gas.

60ft. 1.70

1/8th 7.43

1/4 11.62

I need a 3k stall and some tuning bugs to work out and I figure low 11's on the motor.

Mike

Mike, thats awesome! Must have been a rush to go down the track! makes me wonder about my setup. I need to redyno it here in the states. I have always been skeptical about the 380RWHP as noted in japan! My gut tells me its probably Lower than that. We have a similiar setup except yours is 383 and my output should be about 30 to 50HP less than yours in estimation. I will probably be in the low 12s somewhere. Its all just guessing until you go down the track I guess. Im gonna weigh the car today or tomorrow and see how much weight Ive lost since two years ago and wait for spring... :D

P.S. What was your TRAP spped?

Terry

Terry my set up is not JTR but slightly further back than scarab design. It was a tight fit to say the least. They will not fit on JTR conversion but S&S makes a set that will.

My guess is if you hook up well you will go high 11's or low 12's..only a guess. There are so many facters as I myself am learning such as tires, stall converter to match your cam/engine specs, track conditions and just plain old balls to the wall driving.

The old saying is true..Drive it like you stole it or drive it like you hate it.

Either way :evil:

Let me know how you run when you finally get a chance.

Mike