HybridZ

Lancia swap idea

Dan Juday

Driving to work on Thursday I was passed by a beautiful little blue Lancia (let's all pronounce it correctly: "Lawn-cha") Scorpion. Really sent me back. These cars were sold here in the US for only two years, '76 & '77. They are deceptively small, about the size of a Fiat X19, (I had one of those for a short, hateful, hateful time :x ).

The Scorpion, known as the Monte Carlo in Europe, is a beautiful mid-engine, targa desiqn the way only Italians can do it. Some of the cool features it had was a side hinged engine cover and headlights that angled aggressively down ward when off and then "looked up" when turned on. Unfortunately, also like the Italians do it, it had an anemic, underpowered, undersized, finicky little motor set transversely behind the cab.

I've always wanted to have one.

Watching that sexy little Italian zip by on I5 north of Stockton at 7:00am I got to thinking. Would a Northstar fit in there?

The purists are planning my demise as we speek. :nono:

It's one thing to cut up one of thousands of mass produced Japanese cars, but a rare Italian sports car?

But it would be so cool! What do you guys think?

e7_1_s.JPG

f1_1_s.JPG

Guest 240hybrid

That sounds like a cool idea, its neat the way the rear hatch opens side ways. What is the weight of this little scorpion? Being the size of a fiat, should be pretty light. Would be a cool swap to see though, from the looks of the pic, there is alittle extra room in that engine compartment or am I seeing things? Putting some side subtle ducts/scoops on the roof pillars like the lambos have would be slick to get air to the motor. I definitely think that theres a lot of potential for a very slick car. I don't think I've ever seen one of these cars, or any photos, so this is a first I ever thought of how to hybridize one. Their not too expensive to get stock are they? The only thing I would say, is make sure you get rid of those wheels. :lol:

Chase

Kind of like that little sports car. It's got some really cool lines. I say, be different, DO IT! Man that would be sweet, having a kick @ss Z car like yours and a rare (one of a kind when you're done with it) Lancia. The only thing that would worry me is stock parts that need to be replaced.

!M!

My uncle had one of those. It was pretty quick but then we never had all the polution gear on them here. Lancia made a supercharged version called a volumex that had (I think) 160hp. That would move that car pretty smartly. They are all made from lancia beta parts so parts are not to hard to find. As usuall decide what power you want then work backwards. That 2lt twin cam head can swaped out for a 4 valve version, turbos from the delta all bolt on. The engine is good for a easy 300 + hp. There are people racing them in Aussie putting out around 600hp!

Douglas

Guest Dan0myte

Go for it! I absolutely love Lancia's, especially the Lancia Stratos used in 1970's rallying. Beautiful cars and nobody else has one, so it would be one of a kind.

Plus, if the engine starts being stupid, you can always swap it out for a Toyota 3SGTE out of an MR2 :-D, or even a Toyota Camry DOHC V6 (people are swapping these into MR2's now).

DO IT!

Go for it!

Oh I'd love to guys. All I need is another two car garage, a forty gallon Hefty bag full cash (large denominations please), and all that spare time I'm currently wasting on employment.

The wife is all for it though. She say's I can have all the project cars I want as long as they're sequential. Well that and the other above mentioned requirements. :roll:

A guy can dream can't he?

Driving to work on Thursday I was passed by a beautiful little blue Lancia (let's all pronounce it correctly: "Lawn-cha") Scorpion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought it was pronounced "Lahn-Cha"?....Not trying to nitpick, though.

That would be a great hybrid. The older Lancias were never very healthy on HP! A supercharged V6 from a GM car would be nice.

Tim

Gosh, I thought it was pronounced "Laan-chuh" but I could be wrong :D

Dan, we had a couple of Lancia Beta Coupes when I was younger...only one of them ever ran. They are cool cars, have very very nice materials and craftmanship (IMO), but they are finicky like you said and prices for parts are just stupid. Ours had some overheating and clutch issues, but I think everything else, including the electricals, worked fairly well.

If you want "different" do a V8 Porsche or Triumph. Or, you could buy an older Lotus Esprit and do an LS1 swap with a Porsche 930 transaxle.

...on second thought, do a 280ZX for your next conversion! :D

Davy

Funny you mention Triumph. Before I bought the Z I wanted to do a Triumph GT6 V8 swap. I started searching the web for other guys that had done it. The best I could find was a couple guys that had been working on them for years and still didn't run and one guy who had spent $50k on a V8 Spitfire. :shock: Very discouraging to say the least. :cry: But then I found this place! :D

very extensive project right there. wouldnt be easy, but would be a great feeling to finish something that hard, thats for sure. im scared of those cars myself, ive seen too many people spend years working on cars like those in their garages, and that was just to get them to run stock!!!

My next project is up in the air, but I do know that I am getting the chance to drop a 5.0 sbf t5 into a 240sx this winter as well as an sr20det swap or two, and based on the outcome of those ill know whats next thats for sure. I know im doing a 240sx, 280zx is cool but its too much like my 280z, plus with 240sx you can use 300zxtt suspension, diff and brakes!!!

The best I could find was a couple guys that had been working on them for years and still didn't run and one guy who had spent $50k on a V8 Spitfire. :shock:

:shock: How on earth could you spend $50k on a Spitfire? $49,500 motor? He must have paid someone to do EVERYTHING.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a GT6 years ago, what a great car. True sport car, cooked your right leg, had to learn the right way to get in and out, cornered on a dime and gave you change back. I used to get challanged by 302 Novas all the time back then and would leave them in the dust. Only problems was Lucas electrical and staring at the hubs of the 18 wheeler next to you :shock:

- Joe