HybridZ

Two quick questions

Question #1. I am putting my coil overs together:

Struts not sectioned

200lb front 225lb rear springs

8" spring front and rear

16 x 9 wheels w/ 245/45 kumho tires

280Z with turbo motor

and I am wondering if I should cut my bump stop in half (it is the suspension techniques 1.75" urethane). I am looking to lower the car 2" so I am thinking if I cut the urethane bump stop it allows me another 7/8" of travel while still providing a stop to help keep the strut from blowing. Did any one else do this? Is that not enough Bump stop?

Question #2 Since my wheels are 9" wheels, 245/45 are the smallest tire I can put on them. I can't find any tire that is wider except for autocross tires. If I would buy full tread depth autocross tires how long would they last? If I could get close to 10K miles out of them I would consider it. I just don't know if they can really be used on the road, even though they are considered street legal. Thoughts?

Thanks for all your help guys. I am going to post some pics of the struts and wheels in the next day or so after I get some answers on the bump stop issue. :D I can't believe, I will be able to put this thing on the ground again. :shock:

No one has any answers to either question. The only reason that I brought the bump stop idea is that almost two inches seems excessive. I would think 1" would do the job and allow some more travel. Maybe my thought process is faulty (it often is). Is 1" not enough stopper to prevent bottoming? Just looking to see if someone has tried this, or has thought of something I haven't. Thanks.

IIRC, the poly bump stops are tapered, so that they start of soft and as they compress they get harder and harder. I wouldn't take any off the tapered end. I'd take it from the other end, which is usually mounted towards the top. IMO a solid poly bushing with no taper wouldn't be much better than none at all.

Have you seen the Koni ones? About 3 inch long soft foam. I think you need to cushion the impact, that's the important part.

I've got nothing for you on the tire question.

Jon

Guest tom sixbey

just a thought, but on my rear struts (which came with foam bump stops) i cut the stop in half and then used a wire wheel on a grinder to shave the bump stop back into a tapered shape.

Well I have been looking at my bump stops and it looks like the last 1/2" is where the true stop is. It is a solid piece at that point. The rest of the bump stop is tapered. I am thinking that I could take a 1/4" off the back and a 1/4 " off the front, giving me an extra 1/2" to work with. Looks lke it will be a pain, but it might really help me in the long run. I don't know I'm still trying to go over everything in my mind. :?