HybridZ

n47 head with turbo?

davidh

:( can you guys help? i cant find a turbo motor any where here in fort worth tx. but they do have a lot of n42 & n47 heads laying around junk yards. will it be more expensive if i just started to pick heads & turbos & then just slap them together to make a turbo motor? i know that the p90 were good heads cause they were meant for a turbo, but all i see are the na heads! i really was looking for a complete turbo motor! i guess i just have to start to build one up with the na heads!

can some one tell me what to get together to make a turbo motor?

besides: turbo, turbo manifold, injectors, fuel rail, and ecu what else is there that i need??

Guest bastaad525

P79 is basically like a P90 though with different exhaust ports. N47 is just an N42 with different exhaust ports... hence N47 will be higher compression, also the chambers aren't shaped as well as the P90/P79's... from what I understand they are not as detonation proof (very important in a turbo car). I would go P79/P90 for sure, and most people here would recommend against using an N42/47 head, though it CAN be done, without a good fuel management setup you might be limiting your max boost I think. However, there are people who've run the N42/N47 with good results, and the higher compression results in much better off boost throttle response.

Guest bastaad525

dunno... like I said it CAN definately be done, especially if you are gonna run some setup that will allow you to have more control over fuel and timing... something that will pull timing under boost would probably be more important if you do go with an N head, I would think. However, I DONT think that going with the higher compression head will give you any kind of edge, as in being able to achieve more power... for one, most people are now of the mind that the increased flow ability of the P90 will outweigh the higher compression of the N heads in a boosted application. Secondly, I feel, no matter how high of a hp number you could get with an N head on a turbo motor, you could always run just a bit more boost with an P head and probably be able to get even more. In the end you would probably be just fine with either head, I'd try to find an N42 over the N47 if you can though, the N42 has more in common with the P90, as far as having square exhaust ports, though Yo is using a P79 which is a round port so I guess it works fine either way. I myself wouldn't mind the higher compression for around town driving....

Guest bastaad525

heheh with a tec II you can run just about anything :)

Sport compact car magazine thru a turbo on an 11.5:1 compression Toyota Matrix using a TEC II... they did end up breaking the engine eventually though