HybridZ

z31 "technique" questions

fl327

ok were on day3 on z31 swap, feels good so far, will be turning up boost back to "home" of 12psi and move timing to factory z31 20 btdc, currently at 24btdc (didnt change it when i swapped, 10psi intercooled). im wondering for those that have the swap, how many did it the way i have mine setup,

using stock l28et harness with the pins for afm swapped and a few rudimentry things changed to get it to run? I am actually getting kind of fond of looking at the maf and getting ready for next seasons combo that should get me 12s, any kind of 12 will do until i finally get one, i know that when i do hit my 12, I might just get greedy...

Just ran self dianosis, have to use a z31 o2, but maf and chts, cas, and other is just fine, mpg has stayed the same-not a good test, its been cold out and ive been beating on my car pretty good, dry and cold-turbo owners know what imean!!!! Anyways im interested in hearing if anyone else besides me and the two other people i know have done the z31 ecu and maf splice. I would comment more and show how to do the wiring, but it seems like weve all taken different routes to runnign the ecu.

Ive decided to give the z31 another chance and it may be in use for next seasons 12 second attempts, due in part to the last long thread on z31 apps- I am the guy that will put his money where his mouth is, and walk in the next mans shoes...

anyone try a z32 maf on one of these, it pins out almost identical, i dont now voltage values on it though. do you guys know this as well--240sx, 300zxna, t, and tt maf all use the same plug??? :roll::roll:

You go girl :P I did the maf pin change added a + and - to the coil and changed the fuel pump relay as per JWT. I ran the o2 sensor for a while but it runs better without it. Currently I run about 26-27* BTDC timing. My last setup had JWT code with the stock maf and 370cc squirters. I never did get to the track with that. I did manage a 12.978 with an 86 ecu with altered fuel+timing maps and about a 50% race gas mix. That was a one time best.

The turbo is a 60 trim t04b compressor housing and the stock exhaust side run through a Starion Intercooler with modified inlet/outlet pipes.

If you want to run a different Maf you'll first have to figure out how to change the minimum voltage allowable by the ecu. Stock voltage is around 2.2vdc or so. Any lower than that and it'll go into Limp mode. That applies to all the above maf's you mentioned. I tried it with the JWT code and it makes no difference. It's a hardware thing. I know where it is in my ecu but I haven't been able to alter it. I don't know if I'll bother as bypassing air will accomplish the same thing and I can retune the fuel/timing maps if it causes any problems. Sleeperz's setup is working quit nicely so I don't think it's a problem. I'm having a dilema (sp?) about if I should switch to megasquirt or continue down this road.

really would like to do something like a bypass pipe, new turbo has 4" mouth and would hate to do a reducer coupler on it.

so far so good, car is perkier, but its also really cold outside.

didnt have to do the fuel pump relay though, i run it seperate, ecu doesnt know about the fuel pump. added another + and -? didnt do that either.

want to try s-afc on i soon, but it wont do much without changing injector size. I like the jwt stuff once I think about it, Ive already made it basically a plug in, and its not bad price wise considering there is less dyno time involved except to really dial it in after a baseline. Im not looking to do anything nutty, just 300hp or close, and lots of 12s!!! Goal is to be able to run close to 12s anywhere, anytime, continue to pull down 20+mpg, drive it anywhere I want ,have a big stereo setup, and do real live dougnuts...make tons of turbo noises, and drive that sucker to MSA this year and formally introduce my gang, the NisMOBB.... s30s, s30as,s13s,s14s, pl510s, and no tt's :twisted:

Guest bastaad525

I'm always interested in hearing as much info as I can regarding this swap, I can get the Z31 components pretty cheap, and it seems a good, cheap alternative to going all out with some programmable system... just want something that will run a little better and support a little more boost :)

I'm very interested in the way you did it fl327, I'm always trying to do stuff like this with a minimal of parts changing, so using the stock 280ZXT harness would be great. So all I need are the z31 turbo ECU and MAF, change some wires around and that's it?

If you'd want to give a writeup on what all wiring you had to do/change that would be great... probably not something I'll do real soon but would be great to add it to my collection of informative bookmarks for later... Also, would you say there are any benefits to running the Z31 setup other than eliminating the flap door AFM? WILL this setup support more boost safely? Will this setup only benefit if I have swapped to larger injectors?

I'm always interested in hearing as much info as I can regarding this swap' date=' I can get the Z31 components pretty cheap, and it seems a good, cheap alternative to going all out with some programmable system... just want something that will run a little better and support a little more boost :)

I'm very interested in the way you did it fl327, I'm always trying to do stuff like this with a minimal of parts changing, so using the stock 280ZXT harness would be great. So all I need are the z31 turbo ECU and MAF, change some wires around and that's it?

If you'd want to give a writeup on what all wiring you had to do/change that would be great... probably not something I'll do real soon but would be great to add it to my collection of informative bookmarks for later... Also, would you say there are any benefits to running the Z31 setup other than eliminating the flap door AFM? WILL this setup support more boost safely? Will this setup only benefit if I have swapped to larger injectors?[/quote']

so far all i can say power wise is that the air moves a little faster, having closer to a true 3" straight path of air to inhale. with my air ram setup, it whistles a little like a carb with no air cleaner on it. I also had to drop idle, it went up to 1200 due to more air at idle. I dont know if you run more boost, but I think I gained power at the same boost, because of the air.

just got back from a 12 psi run, and it was pretty dang quick. how much faster than the flap i dont know.

you need z31 maf, ecu, and cas from the distributor. at the least.

I would also get a 300zx factory manual and a 280zxt manual. getting the pinout from the chilton manual is possible, but its also a pain in the butt.

when i first did the turbo swap, i used z31 system, and swapped it back hastily due to something real dumb. it was always setup for this system, all I had to do was work in reverse kinda.

if you can do it, it would be cool, but it wont make very much difference from an afm in all out performance with stock size injector. its cool though, but piggyback systems like power fc and s-afc work well with this setup and are made for it.

Guest bastaad525
but piggyback systems like power fc and s-afc work well with this setup and are made for it.

which is one of the big reasons I am interested in doing it. I'm just about in love with the HKS s-afc (or s-afr... they make me so confused!)... that little box does so much for the price, it's amazing. It seems they CAN be used with the 280zxt efi... so I dont consider it 100% necessary to go Z31 just to be able to use the HKS, but I do see some guys on here running the Z31 with very good results so it is an interesting prospect to me.

One thing... I thought this setup could be done with the 280zxt distributor/CAS? I have an '81 setup, which means I have the crank mounted CAS... this wouldn't work for Z31? I'm assuming that means I'd have to get an '82-83 distributor, AND a z31 turbo distributor to donate the CAS from? that sounds pain in the ass and more importantly, not at all cheap :(

all you need to do is swap out distributors to run the later year setups anyways. pretty easy. i have an extra distributor guaranteed to work if you want it, let me know.

i converted from 81 efi to z31 before i ever fired up the car using the later distributor and the z31 chopper wheel. i run 81 harness, the nastiest looking one. when i took off z31, i ran 81 ecu with 83 distributor for a long time, after that its all 83 efi setup off the 81 harness, now im running 81 harness on a z31 ecu and maf, simple.

hks s-afr should be good for leaning out the bigger injectors, ive heard the piggybacks like arent good for solving a lean problem, but are good for solving rich...

525: cheapest is bypassing air for larger injectors and tuning with fuel pressure and base timing. if you want a piggyback check out the perfect power unit. you can tune spark as well. not sure on what the cost is. i haven't checked the website in a long time.

fl327: you gonna tune that thing with the eprom? burners can be had cheap on ebay... did you set the timing back up a bit yet? that made the biggest difference in off boost power.

somebody's gotta host sleeperz spreadsheet for the conversion. it makes the conversion soooooo easy.

im still up in the air as to what im going to do with the z31 setup.

its running extremely well though!!! I do feel a definite response gain, 12psi hits hard as it always has. currently 20btdc, turned it back today.

over my winter break, im going to finally put this turbo on, re do the downpipe, and get ready to boost hard. i would also love to check out sleepers spreadsheet, next year im going to turbo another 280z with my spare parts and would like to use full z31 harness to power it with zxt distributor.