HybridZ

Jim Cook Racing

EvilRufusKay

I have a couple of posts up about this so I hope I don't cause confusion.....

I found the phone # for JCR but I get something called Liegon Messaging.

Has anyone ordered from this place before? There are no prices in his catalog. He has a bunch of stuff I would like to get but the catalog seems diecey. Any info on this place would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Rufus

• 3 weeks later...

Hey ya`ll

I need some head light covers for this kit. If I could borrow some I can dupe them. Does any body have some??????? :idea:

TRICK Z 8)

no 6`s just V8`s 240V8,280VRV8,260JCRV8,914V8,944V8,56vette

• 3 weeks later...

I do not think there were ever any clear headlight covers available for the JCR kit.

A fellow sent me some fiberglass headlight covers for that kit last year and asked me to duplicate them in Plex. I did a bunch of work preparing to do just that, when he told me he wasn't sure he wanted to pay what it would take to finish the job.

I've been waiting to hear back from him before I do anything else, but might go ahead and make a couple of sets to sell independantly and try to recoup my investment.

I think I can do them for $149/pair...same price as my VR headlight covers, but don't want to invest anything more in the project unless I can sell at least three sets right off the bat.

John,

Ever think about making some headlite covers for the s30`s? (maybe even some fiber glass covers)

I would be your first customer for a set that would actually fit.

The one`s MSA and VB sell are not worth the money or the time to install them.

I would think that some nice, well fitting covers would sell. (seing how we can`t get any)

So what do you think?

Put the word out and see what interest you get, please. :D

Guest 1975yellowBSPZ

The chrome ringed nos style covers cost so much now, whoever makes a reasonable copy will sell quite a few I would think. You'd probably be able to sell them theu the catalog vendors also. Even if you could make a chrome bezel that will mount the MSA covers so they fit properly that would be great too. Just an Idea - its a product people want and no one makes anymore.

I have thought about NOS style headlight covers. Frankly though, I probably should not go down that road...and I probably should just trash the work I've done on the JCR covers to this point. I don't think I'll ever be able to sell enough to make it worth my while.

Maybe one of these days when I no longer have to worry about earning a living, I can do it just for fun!

John you're bummin' me out big time. :cry:

What's up bro, holidays got you down? You got to get out of this funk. Stop looking at this Z stuff as a money maker, it ain't. It's not you, you're an artist. It's just an itsy bitsy 30 year old market, not enough there. You've got to look at it as your art, your creative outlet! If you make some money that's just a bonus.

Just trying to cheer you up buddy. :idea: Hey, I know what would help. Come on up to NorCal in April and get a look at your handy work in person!

p1.w.jpg

'Preciate the words, Dan. Unfortunately, this is my job so I have to think about things like making money.

Of course, once I start doing higher math like "divide income by hours worked..." I start thinking about another line of work. And then...if that happens I won't be working on Z stuff.

Guess I'd better put the calculator away before I throw all this stuff in the dumpster!

ever thought about doing kits for newer Z's? theres a big market in Z32's, Z33's and even 240sx's and maybe MKIV supra kits?

those boys have big bucks and spend the money not to look like everybody else.

with your awesome kits you have already made, im sure you can make those already cool looken cars even crazyer!!!!!

also keep it going strong because ill be buying a 280YZ kit for my next Z! with the $300 upgrade so i can get the stock headlights in there :)

also with that kit would there be away to get a different style front air dam? like say a MSA style one but one that fits to the lines of your kit?

thanks

Mike

Thanks you, too, Mike!

I have thought about doing some stuff for later model cars. In fact, I recently did a ram air hood for an Impala SS. Unfortunately, the guy I was working with on that project was much like the guy with the JCR headlight covers...when it came time to pay up he got scarce. In fairness to him it wound up being a bit more expensive than either of us thought up front.

However, the hood and molds turned out nice. (you can check it out at http://www.reactionresearch.com/misc/impala.html ). So, I thought I'd give it a run on eBay. Unfortunately, it was only bid up to about half of what it costs me to make them.

All of which illustrates that playing in new markets takes an investment of time and marketing effort. I think I can sell them, but it will take some work. I'm trying to do less of that!

Actually, the Z market has been pretty good to me overall. It really is a decent living (would be even better for someone with fresh enthusiasm and more desire to be hands-on), but I do find myself being more careful (in spite of recent projects to the contrary) about taking on stuff that doesn't provide revenue in line with the core products.

So, new kits are a maybe for the future. However, for the moment (New Year's resolution) I'm pretty dedicated to streamlining the operation, documenting the profitability, and marketing the biz for sale. I've got some non-automotive projects I need to do before I get too old and forget all my schooling!