HybridZ

Best book for a LT1 and T56 to buy??

Guest 78Z-IN-GR-MI

Guest 78Z-IN-GR-MI

Ok, I have bought the motor and transmission, but u guys keep talking about prom chip and other things I don't know a dam thing about.

Can anyone tell me what is a good book to buy that will help me understand this motor..

I would not be able to do this with out this site, thanks to all!

Terry S

Guest 78Z-IN-GR-MI

I have the v8 swap book, and just read through it yesterday for the 10th time. I was following it like a T until I went and bought this 95 motor.

So I wonder when it talks about motor monts will it still be the same?

As for the JTR Tpi/Tbi book a friend who has it said it was not very usful. and what is HELM manual??

Your motor will bolt right up using the JTR kit. You will not be able to use the AC compressor in the stock location. The popular thing to do with the belt routing is to pull the vanes out of the PS pump and use it as an idler and then fab a bracket for another idler to replace the AC compressor. This is what I did, not as difficult as it sounds. I would suggest you do the last part after the motor is in the car. I made mine first and then had to redo it because it hit the frame rail.

Also, while we're on the subject of the accessories, you will need get another alternator pigtail, (available at any parts house for $5) and swap the exciter wire to another terminal so you don't burnout your alternator. I don't remember which one right now but I can check when you are ready to do that.

A lot of people diss the TBI/TPI book. It is true that most of this book will be of little use to you, but I found nuggets of gold there that to me were worth the price of addmission.

Helm writes the factory manuals for GM. You call them and tell them you want the manuals for the car your motor came out of. In your case tell them you only want the first two books out of the three. The last one is a suppliment added for the (3.8 litre?) V6. This will save you a few bucks. Still, expect to pay about $120 for the two manuals. Some people say you can do the swap without these but I wouldn't want to try. The Helm manual will give you all the info, every last jot and tittle, on your motor. If you have any problems after the swap it will give you step by step flow charts for troubleshooting.

Here is the phone # for Helm 800-782-4356. Have your credit card ready.

Guest 78Z-IN-GR-MI

Dan,

I will get the books ordered next week, Thanks. The info u gave me on the alt plug and power stearing pump sound like a million dollars worth of advise but I don't understand..

What did u mean by using the power stearing as a Idler? Whats a Idler?

And than to fab a bracket for the missing AC...

The alt pigtail, can I have more detail. If I go to the parts store they are not going to know what I want. And why do I need a different plug?

Thanks again for your time Dan.

Terry :?

An idler is a pulley that turns nothing. It's just there to route the belt in a particular direction. Once you get your motor and take a look at it things will start to make sense.

The parts house should know what you mean by a pigtail. It's just a plug with wires connected for each terminal, (in this case 4) about 6" long. Installing a pigtail is much easier than trying to swap the terminal in the plug. Trust me, I've tried. Swearing doesn't help either.

O.k. I looked it up. You remove the wire to the "L" terminal and connect a wire from the "F" terminal to "hot in run". This will switch the alternator on when the ignition is on. Got this info from Ron Tyler.

Guest 78Z-IN-GR-MI

Dan,

Why didn't you just pull the PS pump and AC and buy a new belt?

It would seem that it would work.

Maybe a dumb question from someone with no experence....

Terry :roll:

You need to pull the belt away from the water pump, which is not belt driven, it's driven off the cam.

This may illustrate a bit better:

fcd6f8e4.jpg

Tis is using the gutted PS pump as an idler.

Here is the idler pulley I made to replace the AC pump (using the next size shorter belt)

fcd6f8f0.jpg

Guest 78Z-IN-GR-MI

Tim have u given any thought to installing air conditioning. can it even be done?

Have to ever heard of anyone renting their program and wire to reprogram there LT1??

I have done the looking and it seems $100 for the cable and $200 for the software...

Guest 78Z-IN-GR-MI

Tim,

I take it you have bought the cord and software?

Does the free software let u upload changes? It seemed to me they had stated it did not let u upload.

I was sure it was $200 for the software to do everything.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Terry