HybridZ

Rust? What Rust?

My sway bar drags the ground' date=' and I can see the road through my floor boards (or lack thereof).

...and I'm NOT getting rid of the car! I just bought it a couple months ago, and I bought it with a tube frame in mind. You guys saying "find a new shell" would be laughed at where I come from. Is no one willing to put a little elbow grease into a car anymore?!?![/quote']

I`ve got a 71 chevelle that I am in the middle of a frame off restoration on. I have put NEW floor pans in, all new wheel houses, one quarter panel is installed so far. I`ve completely rebuilt the suspension and the frame and all components have been sandblasted and painted.

At this point I am less than half finished and I have as much in the car as I could go out and buy a finished one for. The point is... You have to know when to say when.

Most of us here are building modified/NON stock cars. NOT collector cars.

If you can buy a relatively rust free shell for under $500-$600 and get it shipped to you for another 500-600, you`ve got around 1200 bucks in it.

If you pay 500.00 for a rusty driver, you will easily have another 500.00 in rust repair materials, NOT including the time and labor to do so. If you only pay yourself 10.00 per hour for doing the work yourself, you will only get 20hrs into the job before you start going in the hole.

Obviously serious rust can be repaired, BUT...With all of the additional headaches and cost involved you run much more of a risk of getting burned out, going broke or both and giving up on the project.

The easiest way to avoid this is to find the most structurall sound body as possible. Obviously mechanical condition isn`t as important since the vast majority of use here are yanking 90% of it out and swapping in or own creations.

My point is...You have to be able to realistically judge your physical as well as financial ability to take on the project and complete it.