HybridZ

5-lug swap

Guest Big Geek

Guest Big Geek

I have noticed several 240's with 5-lug rims on them and was curious as to what (Other than the rotor.) was swapped out for this. Is there some type of 280-z upgrade that allows the use of 5-lug rims? I also am interested in upgrading my rear brakes to disc on my 1970 240. Is there a link or site that I can get some good info from on this subject? Thanks for your time. Cheers !!!

Jim C.

P.S.- I have access to a set of 17-in 5 lug rims from a 00 Camaro. Is there any chance of them fitting? If so what is involved in making them fit other than the obvious 5-lug conversion. I am not sure of the back spacing on them but was more curious as to whether anyone else has done this swap. Thanks again.

Guest Z-rific

Do a search on this forum for 5 lug conversion and wheel adapter or wheel spacer. Look for the name Ross C. He sells adapters that converto to 5 lug or standard 4 lug. From there, it's just a matter of wheel width and what your setup is. Backspacing info is important.

There are about 100 posts on this topic.

All this equipment seems expensive to me. I put on a rotor from an early nineties Camaro by changing the inner race to the Z race and bearing. The outer race is the same. Found a smaller diameter inner seal and put it on. I adapted a Camaro calliper by making a conversion adapter like the one pictured on this thread. The rotors cost $30 ea. and the callipers were $20 ea. The unit is very low tech as it has single piston, but it will stop a big a$$ Camaro or a 3200lb Z. If you were to use a four piston calliper you would have to use a wheel spacer. I am going to service the front end later this winter and will post some pics.

Jim -

I bought the big brake package, 5 lug conversion and Outlaw 2000 setup (front and rear) from Mike Gibson at fonebooth. I can't give you much feedback on the performance of the product since, my car isn't on the road yet. I can tell you the quality of the stuff from Mike seems to be very good and he was great about answering all my questions and supporting me. Mike (scca) is a member here and used to visit this site quite a bit, but I haven't seen him post lately,

I've bought products from Ross Corrigan at Modern Motorsports too. Both guys sell quality goods and stand behind their products.

By the way. Pay attention to how you will do both fronts and rears. You probably do not have enough room to drill the rears 5 on 4 3/4" center for Camaro wheels. You can do it for 5 on 4 1/2" mustang wheels. Just be aware that you may have to use an adapter if you want Camaro wheels.