HybridZ

ZZ4 Crate engine gas question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have been looking at the ZZ4 crate engine that some of you guys were recommending and I noticed something. The engine requires 92 octane gas. I live in California where we have 91 octane gasoline. Would this be a problem for the engine? Would I need to add additives?

Well I will go out on a limb so flame me if Im wrong but You could put a little race gas in it lets say a gallon in your tank and easily raise your octane levels above that.

Myself I would probably play with the timing a little bit. Back the timing down a couple degrees. Also I believe they make one of the zz4's with 9.6 to 1 instead of the most popular 10 to 1. Just a thought.

Mike

Guest greimann

You can manage 10:1 compression on 91 pump. Keep the timing in check and run the motor cool. I have ~10.5:1 and have to watch timing carefully and keep the temperature below 200 degrees.

Is the octane rating a research octane number, a measured octane number or the average octane number that is used today? If it is a research number like was used back in the 60's & early 70's then 91 pump gas is no problem Even if it's the average used today I wouldn't sweat a single digit difference. Does anyone out there really think that Chevron and the boys can control their fuel ratings within a single digit? Anyway, the absolute worst thing you'd have to do is retard your timing a couple degrees or toss a couple moth balls in each tank of gas.