HybridZ

Looking for info on the L48

Guest jeff1216

Guest jeff1216

I just came across one here locally....It is out of a 1977 corvette.

49K original miles.

I know that stock they are way under powered, but I thought that it may be a good starting point.....The engine is 100% complete less the carb.

I can pick it up for $150.00

What do you guys think?

My Z is going to end up being a daily driver.....Is this motor a good choice or not?

L48 was the base 4bbl 350 from 1973-1980 in Corvettes and Camaros. Rated at 185 hp in 1973-74, it dropped to 165 in 75 with Cat converters. These are the Camaro #'s, 'vettes were usually 10 hp higher. It is a fine starting point, especially if it is cheap.

What is the compression ratio of this motor? This was the low point in time for the SBC. Believe it or not Chevy actually sold a four banger Vega that had a better 0-60 time than the Vette in '76.

If it were me I'd take a good look at the compression ratio and the heads. Bolt-on's alone may not be enough to bring this motor out of the mire.

180 to 190 hp was about the stock setup. However, a cam, intake, carb, vortec heads, and some headers can quickly get that engine into the high 300's or low 400's. Don't pay too much for a used 190 hp engine since you can buy a new goodwrench 350 (250 hp with headers) for 1300.00.