HybridZ

HELP WITH I/C: INSTALLER DOESN'T KNOW WHERE TO PUT INTAKE!

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

My car's in the shop with the large (tall in size) NPR intercooler which was formerly on a different 280ZXT. He says he doesn't know how to fit it with the stock airbox, which I had hoped to retain. Other than going to an open filter (which I question the water protection in the locations available), what can I tell him to do? Reform the stock box into a smaller piece (lunch box?) :lol: Suggestions appreciated, as the car seems to be sitting around their garage at this point!

John

Guest szlash280z

most people seem to cut the AFM to Turbo boot and put a cone filter directly onto the AFM. or they get some kind of 3" to 2" or so silicone reducer to connect the AFM to Turbo and mount the cone filter directly to the AFM. this puts the AFM pretty close to the turbo itself. mine is not intercooled yet, but I have a 3" to 2" rubber boot in my 78T, it didn't last long as I need to replace it already.

Guest bastaad525

I wouldn't worry much about using an open K&N style filter at the front of the car. Where the problem comes in is when people use ricer style 'cold air intakes', which situate the filter very close to the ground... then you hit a puddle and *gulp* goes your engine. I have a K&N sticking out from the radiator support, you can see it from the front of the car, thru the grill. It comes STRAIGHT out though (most people point theirs off at a 90* angle.. parallel to the ground though, looks nicer for sure). It sits a good 2 feet off the ground... and is right under the protection of the hood, so unless I were to take the car for a swim, it should be (and has been) fine. The stock factory airbox is restrictive... ditch it. Most everyone on here runs the K&N filters... many of them in bad weather places, and no one has really had a problem.

Guest znow white

Get a rid of the box if your putting an Intercooler your gonna need all the space to make plumbing easier with less bends. Also you will be gaining a little hp with a k&n and a little more with intercooler. Put a k&n its like 30 dollers and you get a 90 degree bend most people use 3 inch and thats good from JC whitney. I live in Canada so we dont have that but similair places like Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, Home Depot would have them. The whole unit would cost less than $70 US for sure rather than MSA's 100 ish prices. You didnt mention the car you doing this to?

I used a flexible hose (air intake, from CSK) and mounted a large oval K&N just behind my air dam. Although I do not puddle jump in the Z, I have driven in some good rains and had no trouble with "gulping water". You really have to submerge the thing to get any significant water into your engine.

Guest szlash280z

my sister drove through some kind of puddle and her car gulped some major water. it sucked trying to get that thing started back up! it doesn't crank when the cylinders are full of water! she had the stock intake on her pontiac grand am.