HybridZ

Which is better for a Replica 250 gto, a 500hp sb or a hp327

Guest 250gto

I would like to hear some input on whether I should go with a 400 short block that will put out around 500hp, torque. Or should I opt for the high reving 327? This car when done will be the as close as I can come to the original without having the Ferrari v12.

I plugged #'s into my desktop dyno and this is what I got.

400ci, 10:1 comp w/performance heads 2.02 int/1.65 exh, single plane intake, 850 carb, solid roller lifters, .700 lift 298int./ 302 exh duration cam, large tube headers w/mufflers:

498hp @ 6500rpm 468ft.lbs torque @ 4500rpm

same accessories as above

327ci

489hp @ 7000rpm 409ft.lbs torque @ 5500rpm

I say 327ci with rear end gearing 2.89 or 3.02 mabe higher if you still can't put the power down without spinning too much, and much slower piston speeds with the 327ci.

Stock combo's at

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/m-table-c.htm

Guest brianglawson

if you really wanted to make it as close as possible you would get a jaguar v-12, personally from your choices, i would go for the 327 just for revs

I am truly saddened by your lack of consideration of a motor with more cylinders. There are more motors out there you know. Now I’m not going to name names, however I truly wish you would reconsider. I must go and find my hanky to wipe away my tears…sniff...

Cheers…:::Glenn

PS: Go with the big cubes!

Thanks for the input! I forgot to mention that the 400 is destroked to 377 to give it the high rev's and 500 hp to boot. To me it's the best of both worlds! What do you guy's think now!

Guest OneRudeTransAm

I would shy away from the 400 if I were you, theres too many ways to get power from a sbc. The 400 is a good "stock" motor with no mods, or a throw away race motor, but if your planning on beefing one up to drive everyday, the 400 wont last long due to decreased cooling capabilities in the 4 inner cylinders. After a 30 over rebuild, they are so close together that after a while it just tears itself apart. In my opinion, go with a good 383 stroker, you can get more umph out of that than really anything else, & it doesnt take a real radical 700 lift cam to reach your 500hp mark.

Another idea is an LS1 with a good head/cam pakage, thatll give you the 500 mark for less than itll take to build a 327 thats gonna hold together with AWESOME everyday drivability. (experience tells me that)

The V12's in the origional Ferrari GTO's kicked out 290-300 horsepower at 7500 rpm. If you want to keep this replica true to form back off on the horsepower and go for revs. The 327 or a good 350 should do this nicely-and besides I've heard some scary stories about hotspots and overall heat problems w/the small block 400.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mikey_clark

I'm also doing a GTO conversion and spent a lot of time trying to decide which engine combination would be the most true to the Ferrari. After a lot of research I decided that you can't really do it. The GTO came with a small 3 liter 12 cylinder with a almost square bore/stroke. It made around 390 hp at a high rpm. Didn't have a whole lot of torgue and it was a very narrow powerband. I haven't found any current engine that's affordable that would give the same performance/sound/feel. All those small cylinders make for a beehive kind of sound.

I settled on a hot 350 and I think what I'm going to do is spend a lot of time trying to find the right muffler combination to get it to sound as close as possible to the Ferrari. You can get good dress up stuff for the engine to get the Ferrari look and then if you can get the sound close, that's what most people experience as you drive by.

That's my 2 cents worth.