HybridZ

Bleeding Slave Cylinder

Guest Daddyrick

Guest Daddyrick

The seals have leaked on the slave cylinder for the clutch on my 91 ZX. What is the best (only way) to bleed the air out of the line. The resevoir was empty as I suspected and have refilled it. My reference books only deal with the older z's.

get a buddy, jack up the car, fill up reservoir, have him pump the clutch as you release the bleed screw on the slave cyl for a second to dump pressure that built up. Keep doing and refilling (Make sure the reservoir DOES NOT run dry) until pedal has full feel back in it, and air's out of hte lines

I had some trouble bleeding mine. Becuase the system is so small unless you close the bleeder quick it sucks air back in. If you take a hose off of the bleeder and submerge it in fluid it seems to work better. Also tell your buddy to take it easy when he pumps the pedal. Sometimes people go overboard pushing the pedal too hard/quick and it makes tons of tiny bubbles that are harder to get rid off.

Rufus

I bled the clutch on my old Toyota pickup yesterday by myself. Gravity was my friend, because the slave is lower than the master (no pun intended).

I left the bleeder on the slave cracked open slightly and pumped the clutch pedal a few times to run the air out of the master. Then I opened the bleeder more fully to allow fluid to run through the system easily. I topped the master a couple times, and when the fluid running out became clear/fresh, I closed the bleeder. The clutch released & I quit.