HybridZ

Rebuilding a T-5 (possibly)

JB_BA

My 5.0's T-5 is shot. Well, not completly, but it's a real pain. I've found some others on the net having the same problems. (Mostly on EBay, selling them.) It pops out of first, but when it actually goes in, it usually stays. It doesn't like to go into second at all...I've gotten it there 3 or 4 times since adding an adjustable clutch cable for the CenterForce clutch. Third gives a little grind and goes in for the most part...4th and 5th are always fine. To GEAR DOWN to third, I have to go down to second while holding the clutch pedal down, then go up to third. Then it gives me the little grind, and gears down. I haven't been able to figure out when it likes first and second gears...

anyway, I want to rebuild this thing, so what exactly would I be looking at replacing? A few guys around here say synchros, but I want to hear what some HybridZers think...

anyone?

Thanks,

JB

Also look at Hanlon Motorsports. http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com I have seen and purchased a few different T5 rebuild kits from various sources and Hanlon seems to have the most inclusive kits. They also have four seperate kits for four different rebuilds in mind. They should be able to help you make your decision.

Josh

I've talked to a few people about the problem, and the general comment is that the problem is most likely the shift forks. They tend to bend in these 5.0's after much (deserved :-D ) abuse. Hopefully I'll be replacing shift forks instead of a full rebuild...then again it may be a good idea to go ahead and rebuild while the tranny is dropped...

JB