HybridZ

Thinking of making some downpipes - need opinions...

Jersey

In a week or so, i'm going to be making another 45degree DP for my cousins '78. Swapping in an '83 L28ET with the T5 and a 3" exhaust. I'm considering documenting and taking precise measurements to make more DP's for others and just have a few questions before i think about taking this thought any further.

1 - Should i weld in an O2 bung for the sensor?

2 - I know a bunch of us go to 3" exhaust but considering that you can only use 2.5" out of the T3, should i just make the whole DP 2.5" like i did mine or flare it to 3" after the flange? I do know flaring it would take more time and cost more.

3 - I would make them all out of stainless but should i consider aluminized? I would think stainless would be better under the high heat conditions and wouldn;t rust eventually like the stainless. I don't even think the stainless would cost much more than the aluminized, but i'd have to investigate further.

4 - Is everyones 4 bolt exhaust flange the same pattern? My cousin had his T3/T4 hybrid built by Majestic and they used a weird 3 bolt exhaust housing (Saab/Volvo?) Wongering if his is just an oddball.

5 - What would you consider to be a FAIR price for say, a full 2.5" 45degree (or close) SS DP with O2 bung and flange? I know $10 each sounds good but.... :wink:

These are just some peliminary thoughts and ideas before considering making these and wanted to know what options would be most in demand. Any ideas/input would be appreciated. Thanks.

1, I would, both for Normal O2 and metric thread for wideband. Just don't dril th holes until you are ready to put the )2 sensor in.

2. I flared mine after the flange. I think this can go both way.

3. I would make the first one out of aluminized, then on dupulicates, SS. Coated with something and it'll last for awhile.

4. 4 bolt is Nissan housing and 3 bolt is Ford and others.

5. $200-$300 sounds reasonable for a SS unit. TIG'ed off course

I would love it if you would do this, I am working on a 260 that I have installed a turbo motor and T5 in and need a downpipe that would fit. I would like to have a bung for the O2 sensor and I would like it to flare from 2.5 out to 3 inches. Somewhere around two hundred and I would definitely buy one from you. My preference in materials would be stainless steel. If this happens I would have one of Scotties old downpipes, unused, for sale.

I created a 2.5" downpipe out of aluminized steel. I will have it jet-hot coated to withstand the heat and keep underhood temps down. I put in an O2 bung, and used a 2.5"-3" adapter at the end of it to bolt up to my exhaust.

I have one of those 3 hole flanges on my T3/T4 hybrid. I had to get a weld flange from turbonetics.

• 2 weeks later...