HybridZ

Easy way to remove resin?

Metro

Does anyone know of an easy way to get fiberglass resin off of bare metal? The previous owner of my 280z tried to fix the dents in the roof by using fiberglass resin to glue the roof of another Z car onto it.. looked like shiat. There's only 1 dent worth mentioning and a couple small ones.. and he did all that crap :shock:. So I took that off and I'm going to take the dents out, but its completely covered in resin. I've tried sanding it off, but it just gums up the disc.

So does anyone have any tricks for getting resin off? I was thinking of using a torch to melt it so it would scrape off easier. Is there a better way?

The torch won't melt it, but will instead burn it. If the previous owner sanded or roughed up the steel before applying the resin, then this will be a tough job. If not, I'd opt for a well positioned puddy knife under the resin and chip it out. If you were to use the torch, I'd do it from inside the car by heating the steel instead of the resin. This will cause the resin to soften and break the bond, and while warm, will more easily be scraped off the steel.