HybridZ

Importing Japanese Fairlady?

Guest NeedCAforS13

Guest NeedCAforS13

Hi, I'm new to the forums. I currently drive a 1993 240sx with a JDM Silvia CA18DET motor in it... but I'm looking to get something with even more old school flair! :D

321931_66_full.jpg

So here's my question... does anyone know the rules for importing older cars? I'd really like to have a Japanese Fairlady (would go nicely with my Silvia :lol: ) but I'm not sure when the cut off date is? (I did quite a bit of searching, but didn't run across the answers I was looking for...)

The DOT (or whichever government agency does car registration) does not believe that crash test data for LHD cars is the same as RHD cars, as most of you know, hence the problems with importing real Silvias or Skylines to the US... but many of the european car guys get around this by importing older cars that are exempt from this rule (Mini Coopers, or MG's for example)...

Is there an old enough Fairlady that will be exempt like the RHD british cars? IIRC the exemption date is 30 years, which would make any car made before 1973 exempt from these rules, which would mean I could get an early 70's fairlady, and that would be bada$s... what do you guys think?

thanks (and be nice! I might be a newb to old school Datsuns, but I've been a Nissan enthusiast for a few years now! :cheers: ),

Sean

Hey you're on Orlando Forums right? I post under the name 240Z there and am a UCF student too. Welcome to HybridZ :D . Are you referring to a Fairlady Roadster or a Fairlady Z? If you're talking about a Fairlady Z IMO it's pointless to go through all the trouble importing one since the car is basically the same as the USDM S30 Z with the exception of the fact that it came with an L20 instead of an L24. As for importing cutoff dates, I'm not sure about that, but IMO I would just try to look for a Z around here with the least rust possible, which is pretty difficult to find.

Now that I think of it I've actually seen quite a few RHD Z's for sale in the US lately. Might want to look around.

Guest NeedCAforS13

Yeah I post on Orlando forums some, but I'm a big poster (and moderator :D ) on NICO. You should come out to one of the Orlando Forum meets sometime... we meet on wednesday nights at the corner of university and alafaya (across from UCF). I'd love to see some more old Z's (there aren't too many running around here)

My question about the fairlady was for an s30 Z, not the roadster... sorry if that was unclear :-D but I guess the reason I would want to import one from there, is with the hope that it had some cool hard to find japanese aftermarket parts already on it, it would have low mileage, and possibly be in better condition than one of our cars... I dunno.

I too have seen quite afew RHD S30's on ebay recently so I was wondering if maybe they were exempt from the rules... anyone else know?

Thanks,

Sean

Guest Speedmade

I have a 1975 Ford Falcon that I imported from Australia.

The DOT cutoff is a sliding scale of 25 years or older. Meaning that as of Jan 1st you can import a 1979 or older car and it will be exempt from DOT and EPA. (EPA is a sliding 23 year scale)

I will mention that California restrictions are far tighter than the Federal levels. CA does not use a sliding scale. So any car newer than 1973 must meet CA emissions for the year of manufacture, but is still DOT exempt.

Hope this helps.

Reed H

Guest NeedCAforS13

Thanks guys :-D Reed, it sounds like you've done this before (from the car list in your sig) Any suggestions?

Tim, that too sounds like a good idea... I'll find the numbers for my area and give them a call tomorrow sometime.

With regards to the California issues... I'm in Florida, and we have some ridiculously lax car rules here. No testing what so ever! Its great

Does anyone have any suggestion of where to look for one of these. I have afew contacts in the Air Force in Japan (mostly Okinowa or however you spell it :? ) from my Silvia motor parts I've accumulated over the past few years... but is there any shop that imports these cars?

Sean

I just imported my Z to and from. It has to be a 1976 or older to go or come from Japan. At least via the military. I imported a fairlady back in 1986 and EPA was waived after being at least 10 years old. The DOT had to comply. West Coast Imports took care of that for me and cost $800 for the conversion back then. Consists of putting little bullcrap tubing in the doors and bumpers etc. Your windows should have DOT on all of them. They will also install a seat belt buzzer if you dont have one. I have heard that the new AC system is required but dont know for sure. The conversion shop will post your bond for you to cover your car until it is released. Sort of a pain unless your miltary I expect. Just my 2 cents worth since Ive done it three times now....

I bought a '79 Fairlady 280Z that was imported by an Air Force friend into the U.S. in December 1988. Paperwork was handled by A&W Int'l Brokers in Long Beach, CA. Cost him $125 entry fee/ $100 Customs bond/$100 Surety fee. I dont know details on US conversion 'cause I dont have any paperwork for that. Car has DOT glass, seat belt buzzer, cat converter and such. Sometimes I run into him at Christmas. If I do I'll get more details from him.

• 3 weeks later...