HybridZ

Electronic Ignition ??? for V-8 Conversion

Guest jeff1216

Guest jeff1216

I am using the MSA conv. kit........What electronic ignition should I go with that will clear the firewall?

I know the HEI has a larger cap....I did not want to go buy someting that would not fit.

What are you guys using?

hei should fit with msa, a nice coil and some work with the advance springs and adjustable vacum advance can really work wonders.

you could always run a pertronix electronic ign conversion kit for the stock small cap distributor, but me being me I would rather go with a factory electronic ign.

Trevor- If you have a stick shift Z & think you might ever race it, something with a rev limiter would be nice.

I'm building an automatic car with a recurved early distributor and a Pertronix II. (Summit sent me a flyer listing it at $89.95. That is the regular price shown at http://www.carshopinc.com, but I've never dealt with them). I've read somewhere that the first Pertronix has been known to fry itself if the ignition key is left on without the engine running, but don't think the II has that problem.

I'm running the pertronix ignitor 2 in my old points dizzy, and it works great. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether it can take triggering a CD type ignition box like an MSD-6A. Anyone got any experience with this? I think the higher current draw burns them up, but I'm not sure...

Bill