HybridZ

the size of rims i could install on my 1981 datsun 280zx?

i was looking at some G-RACING KOBE rims and the size i want are the 19x8 inch rims. i was wondering if these would fit? or are they too big? how about 18x8 inch rims? the chrome 19's cost $2,555 with tires, the 18's cost $2,345, so for about $215 more i could get the 19's so i wanted to know if they would fit. im getting the car fully restored so i wanted to update the look of it. also what kind of suspension should i get? what should i get to make it handle better also? sorry for all the ?'s and the long read. i just want to make it better than it is now. also if this helps what so ever im planing on a L28ET or a 300ZX TWIN TURBO swap

thanks

alex

well the motor has nothing to do with the size of rims you can use.

1st off you need to find out if the rims even are offered in the lug pattern you will be running and also see if they are made in the offset/backspacing to fit your car.

19's are pretty big, im not even sure if 19's have ever been put on a 280zx..

18's im sure would fit but you would need a low low profile tires.

if you plan on running wide tires then coilovers will be needed im sure.

with that tall of a tire/wheel the car will be higher up too so if you want that REAL LOW look then its gonna be very hard to get it, if not impossiable.

sorry i dont have all the answers, im the best when it comes to wheel sizing for Z's..

i had a hard enough time on mine.

best of luck.

mike

thanks for the help, but how wide of wheels/tires can you put on a 280zx? i want some coilovers but not sure what kind to get. mostly everything is going to get replace on my car. im not looking for like a 4 inch ground clearnce, right now its 8 inches off the ground. i would like it at about maybe 6 inches off the ground or lower if they make them. do you think these rims are too big? right now i have 15 inch enkei turbine rims, they're really nice and light but they're small and have really thick tires on them. i like the low profile tires better

thanks

alex

well with those u will need a spacer..

those really are honda style wheels.

it seems like you want to build this Z correctly so i say get wheels made for your Z.

like i did..

wheelspicZ.jpg

im not saying get my wheels, im saying you can get wheels made to fit your car perfectly.

mine are 17x10.5 in the rear and 17x9 in the front.

i dont think anybody should go bigger then 17's.. its kinda to big of a wheel as it is..

see what i mean?

theres a few wheel companys that will make wheels for your Z.

i say dont go wider then 9's in the rear, and 8's or 7.5's in the front.

my wheels in the front are way to wide, i love the look but thats me saying that now, not having to drive it yet (255's in the front).

with no power steering and etc its gonna be a work out.

im not trying to bring down ur ideas, i think 18's would look sick but 17's look hugh as it is on a Z.

i no i have a earlier Z (280Z) but you still get the idea.

280zx's look abit bigger so 18's might look right at home and look AWESOME.

im stating all this on a stock flared body Z.

mike

its funny that you say they're honda rims, i 1st saw these rims on a custom honda civic on ebay with a BMW conversion front and back, i like the look of the rims but not sure if they will look good on my 280zx i just the size of the rims cuz i saw a 280zx with rims from a skyline, they were 18's and it looked like you could go another inch or more bigger. how much did it cost to get your wheels custom made? im looking to spend $2,550 with tires total. and if you have any suggestions please tell me. see im getting the car painted black and silver and i want to make sure the rims look good with the paint

thanks

alex

(sorry for the long read)

my rims were just under $2000, i think 1900... not 100% sure but i no NOT more then 2000 g's.

are you talking about the gold 280zx with teh RB26?

if so that car had flairs out the wazoo.. car is sick :D, plu sim sure there was a 5-lug swap and among other things done to that car.

18's will look awesome, im sure of it, and if i remember correctly theres a 240z with the same rims i have but in 18's.. it was a flared G-nose car... i think i have a pic some where.

check out http://www.modern-motorsports.com for there honda to Z adapters/spacers, if you find a nice wheel you like.

HRE will custom make you wheels but thats well over 5 g's i bet lol.

mike

$2,550 for a set of rims is extremely steep. Ive seen pics of your car cuban, its the one that you were trying to sell here a while back, right? Those rims will wear your car, not your car wearing those wheels. I would spend the $ on another Z before you purchase any kind of rim. Search the archives on this site, that car would be hell to bring back to life if the guys here spend yers just getting rid of surface rust.

Its a "wheel", i hate seeing people say "rim". Here is a picture of a rim

rims.jpg

David, I have to agree with you (it bugs me too) but give the guy some slack...

Alex, you wonder what will make your car handle better? Certainly NOT the 19" wheels. Your car will be higher off the ground and thus will your center of gravity--no good for cornering. Infact, I'd stick with 17" wheels instead of the 18"s if you really are concerned with performance and not just looks.

I guess I'm just old (30 something) and I'm not "with it" because I have never understood the appeal of the ghetto look of tall wheels and tires on cars... :roll: But hey, whatever floats your boat, man.

Davy

If you really and truly have 2500 to spend on wheels and tires alone, you have way more options than those wheels, which are HURT in my opinion, that funky G and the spokes are KILLING me! No offense. Honestly, You can buy almost any set of wheels you want and you want some knockoffs? Well, none of us can stop you from getting those if you want them, but you do have way more choices than a lot of us here, that is what I am trying to say here. If I had 2500 to spend on rims, oh man, you dont even know :roll:

ya i changed my mind on those rims already im just going to get another set of ENKEI wheels. i have some on the car right now but they're only 15 inch wheels, 17's are ok i guess but i might still go with some 18's on it. or i could always stick with my old wheels because theres nothing wrong with them exept water stains.

this is for David Karey: im going to keep this car because i know all the history on it i know everything that has happened to this car since the keys were handed over to my parents from the dealership. i know that most of the miles on my car are only highway miles. i know the car was never raced or mistreated before. im not saying that other cars you find for sale are but you never know the full histroy. if i was to sell this car, i wouldnt be buying another z car for a long time. i would buy a new car. if i bought another car i would then have to invest more money into to get it how i want it, but with this car itsw alot easier for me. this car is going to cost me 8 grabd total with everything that i want. thats a rust free car that will never have rust again now i prefer to put my parents money into the car they gave me than to put it into another car

• 5 years later...