HybridZ

thunderbird supercharger?

Guest 4.3L 280z

Guest 4.3L 280z

If I could somehow mount a sc off of a thunderbird on the passenger side and I could custom make a pipe coming from where it would bolt to the thundirbirds manifold it would work until I could get a centrifugal sc right? I know there not as effecient as a centrifugal but this would work until I could get a bigger one for a project I'm wanting to do. Also what is the max boost I could run with a 70 shot of nitrous with my engine that has dished pistons and a N47 head? Also I'm going to use a blow through settup with a holley 390 carb. And I know I have to build a box around the carb but would there be a problem because this carb is a vaccum secondary type.

since i am a tech at a ford dealer i have thought about this..my guess it would be best to mount on left side under intake.i would run efi.that unit has plenty of air flow-it came from a 3.8l engine.there are big bolt holes for a/c brackit on left side of block and a flat spot-you could build a mounting brackit to put on there.i wouldnt try a carb-it takes mucho mods to a carb to work.think of boost blowing the fuel back down the lines.goto pick&pull and get out the welder.i wwould do this to my turbo car but i got a/c and dont want to take it off.it works too good.

It would be easier to put the FI on than try and get a carb to work, I helped set up an M90 on a Harley and the guy was set on using a carb. well I ended up getting out of that project on the carb issue alone, and just like I thought, on the second run at the strip, he hit the NOS, and boom! let's just say it hasn't fired up since! The Eaton is a great idea, but FI is the way to go, and they don't create the heat that the early roots sc's do with their twisted rotors. The centrifugal units are more efficient, but only supply high boost at high speeds, the Eaton will produce more power from 1000rpm until about 5000rpm, then the centrifugal would pass it up. How much higher than 5000rpm did you plan to run? 7000? Whatever you do, don't use the carb.

Guest 4.3L 280z

I'm not to worried about revving really high. But I do really want to go carb. I originaly wanted to use a blow through settup but It would be a lot easier and cheaper to install it on top of the sc but I won't be able to run an intercooler. I know it would be easier to run fuel injection but I ripped all that out when I got the car and already put the 4 barrel on there and I don't like all the wires (mainly cause they confuse me :? )

• 5 weeks later...

Ok,

I just picked up an Eaton M90 with the intake pipe and bypass and intercooler off a T-Birt SC this weekend ($60.00) also found a non EGR FI intake on a 280ZX and just placed an order for the Megasquirt parts. I don't know how long to get this all together, but I'm moving forward with the experiment. I calculated 11lbs. boost with a 3.80 inch drive pully on the crank, that's turning the blower at a mear 6965rpm with the engine at 5500 rpm, these can be spun up to 15,000rpm so there is plenty of room to move forward as long as I can manage intake temps, a large efficient IC will be in the works. The plan is to get it running with low boost and depending on the degree of failure or success work from there. For now it's parts gathering and mount and drive fab.

Just to let you all know, it is possible to mount an Eaton on the passenger side. I'm in the middle of this bizarre project myself.

As far as fuel...i agree with most of you and also plan on the Megasquirt setup (as well as spark too)

Zsane, do you see any problems with the throttle body relocation? I haven't yet got to this yet but fear that it will give me the most grief.

Ok i got this crazy idea, that i might consider doing once i get all the bugs outta my engine. Ive been looking at the thunderbird SC's on ebay and they seem to be really affordable. Anyway Im thinking supercharger and turbo :twisted: If it wasnt too big to mount on a plate around the smog pump area. I guess it all depends on if it will interfer with the turbocharger. Anyway if a turbo car is setup properly it wouldnt be any trouble to hook up the SC, i wouldnt think the fuel curves would have to be changed much, The outlet pipe could jsut be t'd into the i/c pipe before the i/c.

Anyway one question is can a SC be hooked up with a reguler v-belt setup?

i dont really know anything about superchargers

-Austin

the stock v-belt wont work on the supercharger setup because of belt slippage (lots of torque required to spin the SC), also for the fact that it's easier to mount/fabricate a new crank pully than change the SC pulley to a v-groove pulley.

-i do like the idea of a "super-turbo" setup! good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

At this point I was planning to mount it on the passangers side, keep the factory ford intake pipe, that would get the TB facing forward for cool air piping and keeps the bypass valve intact. From there the air would run out of the SC and through the radiator support to the intercooler, through the IC to the drivers side, back through the radiator support and to the intake manifold, a union just before the intake will be needed running in at a 45 or so to pipe into the bypass. as far as the TB linkage goes I was thinking of experimenting with a motorcycle throttle cable from the stock linkage pivot, along the firewall behind the engine and to the TB. I don't think I'll be moving foward fast enought for a showing at the norcal hybird z day, but I'll try. I could pull it off for sure if I wanted to risk living in my car! Gotta keep things smooth at home, a balance of priorities you know, I'm sure some of you can relate, or have to.

i'm getting some mixed info about relocating the throttle body and wonder if anybody can give me a solid reason why (or why not) the throttle body has to be on the intake side of the supercharger.

It would sure make it easier keeping the TB in it's stock location and my thinking is it should operate just like a turbo setup.

The SC has a built in vacum activated bypass.

Any clarification on this would surely help!