HybridZ

F54 & N47 combo. Runs way hot all the time ???

I have been running an N47/F54 combo on my 77z for the last two months and I have to say that it's an OK setup for a NA engine. Problem is that now the car runs very hot all the time. The only way to keep the temp down is by driving on cool days with no thermostat.

I'm sure the timing is off and may be one of the factors contributing to the problem. Is there anybody with this setup having this same problem. Can a bigger, four row radiator plus an electric fan help bring the temp down.

I'd worry about your timing and mixture before spending money on anything else.... check your plugs and see if you are too lean. Run standard timing (what is it, 12* BTDC?) and richen up your mixture. Run high octane gas and make sure you aren't pinging. If you are still running too hot, then worry about other solutions.

I removed the old thermostat after testing it in hot water to see if it was opening a the right temperature. It started to open around 180* - 190*, but it would not open all the way.

I figured that if there's no thermostat it will take longer for the engine to warm up but it would run cooler since there's continuous water/coolant flow. Mostly I was just testing to see if better coolant flow would bring the temp down, and it did, but it still goes way up after a few good WOT.

What temperature range is best for a replacement thermostat?