HybridZ

T-56 into a 73 chassis

383 240z

Just the usual things I guess. How much do I have to dimple the floor pans, what parts are needed from what cars to make the hydraluics work, I know there are several different shifter locations, but I'm not sure what one fits our cars the best, also what makes a good master cylinder for these and how much cutting is needed to make the shifter sit correctly inside the car. Anything else I'm missing here guys? I know Automatic trannys are my profession (in fact I have a fully built 700 sitting here that will hold over 500hp I may be selling to fund the T-56 project) I just think that a standard will be more fun to run as a drivers car. The automatic would be more consistant on the drag track I may want to road race this car. BeaveRun is only about 50 mins from my house. Keith

I dimpled the passenger side slightly, mainly for the backup light switch to clear, and the bellhousing on that side.

There are different ways for the hydraulics. You could go with this kit: http://www.weirhotrodproducts.com/ or use the stock, or T5 slave cylinder.

With the JTR setup the shifter should come out the stock hole with no cutting. You can use the stock T56 shifter too.

You can use a Wilwood 3/4" (7/8"?) master cylinder for the stock , and T5 slave, or use a 1" for the weir setup above.

With the stock T56 bellhousing you will need a custom flywheel from Centerforce, made to meet the T56 to a pre '86 small block. You also need a clutch setup for this combo. Call Centerforce for part #s

I would price the difference between the clutch/flywheel setup compared to the weir setup, it may be close.

I concur with what Mike says. The T56 shifter pops right up through the middle of the hole. I only know of one shifter configuration with the T56. It fits better than the f-body T5.

I used the stock slave and a Tilton 3/4" (or was it 7/8"?) master. I think the Tilton one is a little cheaper than the Willwood but I may be wrong. Either one bolts right up with only minor mods per the JTR book.

Best way I fould to connect the slave to the master is with an adapter that Ron Tyler makes, $30. He's a member here.

Sound like I did a little more pounding on the tunnel than Mike but I didn't use the front crossmember spacers.

Dan I saw an add in a Hot-Rod Car Craft type mag that had 3 different shifter locations I just thought they were variants on factory parts.

I'm looking for a T-56 right now but it will be a while until I have to have one in my hands. The diff mounts should be fabbed up sometime this weekend. I'm using a 700 with the caprice extention housing to get the alignment correct. I have the brake stuff here (still waiting on the hub adapters) I'll be getting my springs at the next swap meet (used stock car parts) The plan is to have this car on the ground before spring rolls around. I still need to plumb the car. Keith

Mike (or Dan or anybody in the know), will a T5-sized flywheel will fit the T56? I've been running a T5 on an older (2-piece seal) block. I'm hoping to swap all the associated stuff over, including the flywheel, clutch, clutch slave cylinder, VSS, so on. The only item I *havn't* confirmed is the flywheel itself. The one I have currently is a 153-tooth unit, 10.5" clutch. Thoughts?

In short NO, you cannot your your T5 clutch or flywheel. The T56 uses a completely different type of clutch, a puller type. When you press the clutch, the fork pulls the tension off the pressure plate. When you see your flywheel & clutch side by side with the T5 setup you will understand how very different it is. I used a Tilton 7/8 clutch master cyl and did the T5 slave cylinder mod & installation per JTR, but would use the adaptor recommended if I was doing the swap again.