HybridZ

First test drive is close; but a problem

Hey guys, I'm just about ready to take the first test drive. I just need to adjust my carb and go after this. But I ran into what might be a big problem. I bolted in my driveshaft yesterday and when I went to roll the car out of my garage it wouldn't budge. In neutral it rolls foreward but is really hard to roll backward (it does roll but very difficult). The 700r4 is rebuilt and when I looked for binding in the driveshaft I saw none. What is the problem here? any suggestions would be great since this is my first car project and I'm quite inexperienced. Thanks a lot.

What brakes do you have? Often times if the brakes are sticking a bit, it becomes hard to move the hubs against their normal rotation. Jack up the car and see if you can rotate the tires by hand in the rearward direction.

Tim

Right before I put the driveshaft in I checked the differential and made sure it turned freely. It was only since I bolted up the driveshaft that it didn't roll backward. I was a dope and forgot to check the transmission when I was under there putting it in.

WEll if the tranny was drained and you rebuilt it then put fluid in it before install, the answer is yes, you will need to let it run for awhile and I would suggest putting it in drive and reverse after that to make sure the fluid is circulating well. Did you put in about a quart of fluid into your converter before installing? If its dry then hopefully the pump will get it lubricated in a timely manner to prevent any damage. Make sure you have enough fluid in it. I think I put 12 or 13 quarts in mine if memory serves me correctly. Just some thoughts since I have the 700R4 as well....let us know how it turns out.

CZ

Im somewhat confused, you said it will not budge, It moves forward pretty good but when push backward it rolls hard.

You are not going to push a automatic when it is in gear.

you have spun your tire, with the drive shaft unhooked?

I have seen breaks that drag when a car is pushed backward and not forward. U have to un hook the driveshaft and turn the rearend yourself than the driveshaft... You may be in gear....