HybridZ

t3/t4 upgrade on l28et?

cbuczesk

I'm in the process of transplanting an 82 ZX turbo engine from a 280Z into a 260Z and I noticed that the stock turbo has a good bit of play in the shaft. I might as well upgrade to a t3/t4. Will the turbo below work well on a stock engine with an MSD 6AL and intercooler? I'm looking for a streetable turbo with low to mid rpm power. I plan to do more upgrades and try to get more power of this engine over time. What specs should I look for in a t3/t4?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33742&item=2451839608

Thanks,

Chuck

Yo, thanks for the info! Does anybody have a good used t3/t4 for sale? Any suggestions on where to buy a new or rebuilt unit?

Chuck

74 260Zturbo - finally finished adapting the early 260Z heater controls to work with the larger 76 280Z a/c evaporator :roll:

You could send your turbo out to be upgraded. Forced Performance in texas is probably one of the best shops, if you don't mind spending the money. At least it won't tear up.

You really want a 360 degree thrust bearing, and water cooling, while a pain, is really worth the effort, helps to all but eliminate coking of the bearing. Using your nissan housing will also make bolt up easier, you can use the stock downpipe and upgrade in stages.

Buying a full garrett means you have to redo your exhaust.

Another option is to have a larger compressor wheel put on your stock turbo, and have the turbine wheel clipped.

I'll call Forced Performance to see what they suggest. I checked the TurboCity web page and emailed them a week ago. Still waiting for their reply. :roll:

I really want it to be water cooled. I'm not too worried about redoing my exhaust. I don't like how the PO did it and I do have a new 2.5" MS exhaust lying around that could be modified to work. I'll need a new compressor wheel since a blade is bent on mine.

What would I have to change on my exhaust if I went with a Garrett? Just curious.

Chuck

You would have to get swing valve assembly that fits and they generally use 3 bolts to attach the exhaust. Or the new style uses 4 bolts and you have to have an external.

Seriously, use your turbine housing, they can bore it out for a bigger turbine wheel. It can be made into a hybrid too.

Mine is a nissan one, and it was a royal pain to go from a Ford (garrett) style turbine housing to the nissan.

And the Nissan swing valve won't bolt up to the garrett housing either.