HybridZ

anyone else with a 8.8 swap?

stony

Just curious if there are any other Zs out there with a ford 8.8 rearend? As some may know im in the progress of doing this now. The rearend housing is all welded up just waiting on some time to take the car to the shop to start cutting and welding on the car.

Guest 73TPIZ

Stony,

gettin' mine near a test drive next week with some final welding i'll do soon. loaded 2 more pics to my album just now for you to see. excuse the mess behind the rear end.

Link http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/album_personal.php

'92 explorer shortened 7" on the driver side. places the center section a little left of center (~2") but i needed room for the torque arm. had to split the left tunnel and ease it up into the storage compartment behind the driver and weld a filler in (pic). that was for the magnetic pickup on the housing but i need it to run my digi speedo (700r4 didn't pulse enough). the Explorer rear is cool as its a plain rear (leaf springs) not the mustang rear which has the top ears that i thought would make it too tall. also has a lip w/ three holes by the driveshaft flange for a big vibration counterweight that i used for the torque arm mount. the top of my coils will be right where the mustasche bar bolted up and the shocks go up into the original strut towers.

Opted for the 2 link w/ torque arm setup as seemed easiest and this won't be a track car (4-link, adj coilovers, etc)

sorry such a long post but it's cool to see someone else doin this. i wanted to hang the front sheetmetal and trailer it to the track to see how it acts before painting but side glass is out and the local track wants the windows even rolled up while running. May call Rockingham next week as they're more leanient. it would suck to paint the car and then have to break the hot wrench back out. :shock:

Good luck with yours and take care.

wow thanks for the info. Mine will be setup for the track. It is a mustang 8.8 with the ears but they wont be used. mine is going to be a ladder bar setup with coilover shocks. will have 33 spline axles, spool, billet caps, 4.56 gears, aluminum diff cover, wilwood brakes.

the rearend is getting all welded up now and hopefully will be ready to start cutting on the car in a couple weeks. man i cant wait :D